Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do piston aircraft engines fail?

Just a heads-up: I found this article by Mike Busch helpful and informative.

Has anyone read his manifesto?

Bordeaux

I love Mike Bush’s articles. I used to read them on AvWeb. His “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach also makes a lot of sense. There is an article by him about engine overhauls going around on the Internet which is true to that approach. Very interesting reading.

LFPT, LFPN

That’s a very good article which also deals with the “why bother to do oil analysis” question which may people ask. It’s good to see a case for doing it – I’ve been doing it for nearly 10 years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like the spirit of Mike Busch’s article a lot, and he does stir overdue and needed controversy in the overly conservative GA world. In this particular article I miss mentioning of the fuel servo of injected engines as a component that can lead to total engine failure. Just a few months ago a work colleague had complete engine failure over the Cascades Mountains, and was lucky enough to have an airport in gliding distance. Fuel Servo was the culprit of his Lycoming engine in a Piper Arrow.

United States

I also enjoy his articles demystifying engine leaning, CHT and EGT. He also advocates LOP engine operations.

I believe he also wrote an article about “shock cooling” providing graphs of his engine temperatures (he flies a twin) to make his point; it is not possible to shock cool an engine unless it was too hot to begin with.

LFPT, LFPN
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message