Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How Do You Hydrate Yourself Before a Long Flight?

One of my more expensive stops was at an airport for the sole purpose of peeing. Given that I fairly often fly 3+ hour legs, I have developed the technique of drinking almost excessive amounts of water the morning of the flight, but stopping 1 hour before. Then I make sure to pee copiously (usually twice) in the hour before the flight, including immediately before departure.

It’s something I think about. I do a lot of touring in hot places and even a preflight can take a lot out of you. So I try to get the plane ready the day before (including refueling) so as not to broil myself before the start. A touring cover is also important. I always carry water in the plane, and look forward to the last 30-60 minutes of the flight when I can drink again. It’s both important to be properly hydrated and not to be distracted by the torture of an over full bladder. I carry a pee container in the plane (after early painful experiences) but haven’t yet had to use it.

Do you think about this?

Tököl LHTL
Carry TravelJohns and dont worry about it.
EGTK Oxford

I rather wonder how people „de-hydrate“ in an airplane. Must be rather difficult in a stick airplane like a Diamond or so.

From a medical point of view drinking “almost excessive amounts of water” as described in the OP is not a particularly sound idea. The body is generally very good at keeping the intravasal fluid volume (i.e. blood volume) perfectly stable, so any excess volume will be renally excreted rather fast. Or in layman’s terms: you drink much = you pee much.

Obviously this depends on various health factors. In the morning you can indeed drink more to make up for what you didn’t drink while asleep (duh). What I would advise against is not drinking when thirsty because being thirsty is your body’s way of telling you you need to drink (another duh). I would always drink pre- and in flight if I feel like it.

Of course this “advice” doesn’t help much if one doesn’t want to either land to pee or use a device for doing so in flight.

Finally, it maybe it is of interest that the average human bladder can easily hold 1 liter or more, while the urge to pee starts at 200-300 ml or so. This can also be trained but a full bladder will be a massive drain on your ability to focus which you don’t want during flight…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I usually do not drink much before a flight, and then I bring some water on the flight so I can drink it during the last hour or so.

ESSZ, Sweden

JasonC wrote:

Carry TravelJohns and dont worry about it.

Having flown a lot for 5 years in hot Southeast Asia previously, including two consecutive 5-hour and 4-hour legs where you do need to worry about dehydration a lot, the solution that worked for me was to wear adult-sized nappies for seniors, especially when flying with female passengers!

It might sound/feel very strange but they actually hold pee very well provided you have tested them once or twice before at home to ensure you wear them properly before using them for real.

Since then, I have been wearing them on flights above 3 hours.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

WhiskeyPapa – this is a good strategy. It isn’t good to dehydrate yourself too much e.g. having nothing to drink at breakfast. I am not a doctor but I see there is agreement above.

During the flight, I find that eating fruit and veg, especially watery types like satsumas, strawberries, radishes, etc, is a good way to stop oneself getting dehydrated, while not making oneself pee excessively. It also makes flying less boring, to have something to do.

Also very good points about getting the plane ready the day before (if practical).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just avoid coffee before the flight as it acts as diuretic (at least for me). Otherwise, I drink normally before and during the flight and I’m able to do 4-5 hours without any urge to pee. It can be a bit more challenging in the winter flying at low temperatures because heating in DA42 is not so efficient.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

First I make sure to start with an empty bladder and gut. That can be multiple visits to the loo in the last 30 minutes before getting to the plane.
In the plane, I make sure to be clothed appropriately, ventilate abundently and to heat only as needed, so as to sweat minimally. It’s sometimes a leap of faith to start a cold spring morning with just a T-shirt and half-open vents.
In flight I drink only when I feel thristy, not too much, and only still water.
This has served me well even for my 2-3+ hours flights (as mentioned in the other thread, I have not gone over 4h in one go yet). It is certainly easier in a PA28 with large aluminium panels to hide from the sun behind than under a DA40 bubble.

ESMK, Sweden

I don’t worry to much. I avoid to drink from 1h before t/o. I go to pee when arriving at the airfield (1/2h before startup) and if i feel any need, just before going.

In flight, I avoid drinking before 1h to arrival.
If needed, I eat kid’s squeezable sauces or energetic bars.
But 3 to 4.5h (my max so far) flights are non-events.

I don’t ask myself any question when getting in the car for a 4-5hrs drive and 95% of time i don’t stop.

This being said, I am 31.
My needs will may vary in the next 30 years !!!

LFBZ, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message