Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you make your coffee on board in the cockpit?

With my wife being the author of a book on espresso and both of us being barista, I recently bought a small espresso machine that I use on board while cruising at FL180.

See here my blog item on the Handpresso Auto E.S.E. usage.

EDLE, Netherlands

Impressive!

Do you get the water hot enough at 18k?

The boiling point will drop substantially, relative to sea level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Espresso requires pressure so water boils in enclosed volume at higher than air pressure. Data sheet for this is 9 bar iirc :) boiling point well over 100 C

Being a cappuccino drinker the next challenge is heating and frothing the milk:0

Caber:)

You don't use boiling water to make espresso. It is brewed at a temperature just below boiling temp. Too hot and the coffee will taste burned. To cold and the coffee will taste sour.

So far, the Handpresso works very well. Next thing I need is a stewardess making me the espresso :-) while I fly the plane.

EDLE, Netherlands

That is great! Bit of a spillage risk but great nonetheless.

EGTK Oxford

Interested in what the 12V battery power-pack looks like / consists of. Proprietor or home build?

Sure they must be 'dry' batteries, but 150W is a 'draw'. How many times can you 'brew' on a long flight.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

It is a standard but rather heavy lead-acid 12V battery. I have no clue how many times I can brew the coffee, because I am not that addicted to coffee that I drink it more than once on a long flight. And in most cases I forget it.

EDLE, Netherlands
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message