Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How high can turbo piston aircraft really go?

Cool it, please.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Whatever. A man of the Law who appears to delight in stepping over the line.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Yeah well, I suppose it’s OK to play test pilot with passengers.

He was more interested to do it than I, as a pilot just studying for his ATPLs, he wanted to broaden his experience, and he knew and understood what he was doing.

You might want to be the world’s policeman, and be in a position to tell everyone else what to do, but you are no longer in that role.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I have taken my Navajo up to F280. The limiting factor was not the engines, it was still going up as fast as it would have been at sea level, but blood oxygen. My passenger’s fell off a cliff, so I descended rapidly.

Yeah well, I suppose it’s OK to play test pilot with passengers.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Indeed, hence me raised eyebrow at the previously stated 28000ft for a PA31.

Yeah, well, if everyone only ever did what other people had already none, no-one would have written the Mozart operas, just to take one example.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The most common problem would be less cooling. The air is thinner, so the mass who can transport the energy away is less.

United Kingdom

I regularly fly DA42 to FL180 and I feel it could go up a bit in case of need but I don’t know if any turbo related problem can be expected above say FL220.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My variant has no limit in the type certificate, whereas other variant have 20k or 25k.
You have some limit on your altimeter as some say 20k max.
I might try one day how high it goes.

United Kingdom

The general discussion of turbo versus non turbo is here

Administrator

There is no need for someone to say they did it in reg G-ABCD at location X date Y

As to the performance numbers at FL250 they are really easy to obtain from the AFM which is available online together with all other SR22 manuals.

Since all human knowledge is already on google, there is no point in a forum

Administrator
71 Posts
Sign in to add your message