Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How I use Foreflight - EuroGA Video Meet Up 27APR20 19Z

Recently it was discussed in the corresponding Telegram group to discuss some interesting topics to our EuroGA „Zoom“ video meets.

After using AirNav pro, Skydemon and Rocketroute
I am now using only Foreflight flying around Europe VFR and IFR, recently mostly on flights acting as an Instrument Rating Instructor.

I volunteered to give a short talk about my „workflow“ using the program for a typical flight in a SEP.

Key points will be
- how I set up the app
- using aircraft profiles for performance as well as weight and balance calculations
- planning a flight & autorouting
- 3D due diligence and approach previews
- filing a flightplan
- weather and notam information
- map overlays that make sense
- using the app inflight
- using tracklogs for analysis postflight
and more as I prepare it.

As I’m not involved in programming the app my knowledge is „learning by doing“ based from using foreflight while flying. Since I’m sure I’m not the only one using it I’m happy to discuss and learn more from other foreflight users as well.

Those of you not currently using foreflight, if you post a „can it do…?“ or „how does it…?“ question here and I’ll be happy to research it and include it during the talk.

See you Monday, 27/04/2020 at 1900Z on Zoom!

Previous video thread

Telegram group joining link

always learning
LO__, Austria

Great idea. See you there.

EGTK Oxford

Very nice. I subscribed to Fore Flight just days ago and have yet to try it in flight. Intention is to replace Rocket Route, Sky Demon, JeppFD and LogTen Pro.

For now I have two questions:

1. For the Polish airports that I checked there’s only fuel companies details in the FBO section. No handler contacts. Can this be added somehow? What about generating automated handling requests based on my flight plan like Rocket Route does?

2. How do I quickly preview all Jeppesen plates for a given airport? There’s some plate adding process. Lots of selecting “+”. Alternatively, in the “Airports” section I can go to procedures, but that kicks me back “Plates” when I select.

LPFR, Poland

Great idea and many thanks in advance!
Will you publish the Zoom link here in the Telegram group?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 22 Apr 06:23
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks for the replies.
@loco go to maps, fpl, click procedure on the right, you can preview and select it there as well as add it to your route and quickjump to the plate in the charts section.

https://foreflight.com/support/video-library/watch/?v=foreflight-mobile-70-highlights-procedure-preview&list=maps

Best of both worlds is then using the little arrow top right to send the (if georefencered) plate to the map as an overlay.

@Peter should decide about the link. Maybe add a link to the telegram group to my post above and then publish the link there?

Telegram group joining link

Zoom joining link:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8966557621?pwd=N1NOcHRMM0FYQlBraU9keTEwby9KZz09

Meeting ID: 896 655 7621
Password: first four digits of the millibar altimeter setting for a flight level

Last Edited by Snoopy at 22 Apr 08:01
always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi Snoopy,

That’s a great idea and thanks for offering to do this. Here are my questions regarding potential use of FF as a replacement for Garmin Pilot for typical UK IFR/VFR flights:

Can FF transfer flight plans by Connext to and from a GTN 650Xi?

Does the transfer work with altitude constraints on waypoints?
Does it work with altitude constraints offset along the route?
Does it work with VRPs and small/private airfields in the flight plan?
Does it work with user waypoints?
Can you set FF user waypoints as airfields and do they transfer to the GTN as airfields?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

My problem is with setting up W&B for a Turbo Arrow IV – whatever I do results in a very strange envelope.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I would be interested in comments on three things:
Because most of my flights are either ‘Y’ or ‘Z’ (something that is often mandatory in Germany), good visual information on the map is important at either end. Does Foreflight yet show VRP’s, and/or ‘circuits’, as Skydemon does?
Secondly, when I have used Foreflight in trial use, although the ‘search’ facility of Flight Planning a route was very quick, an incredible number of them failed to validate when I tried to file, due to errors – something I have never experienced with ‘autorouter’.
Finally, as someone who only flies to about 10 new fields a year, when one has added the Jeppessen package for Europe to the upgraded edition of Foreflight (which I believe you need for reasonable options) you are coming towards nearly €1000. This makes Foreflight a slightly more expensive package than my Skydemon at £89 and a few plates printed off from home before I depart.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Does Foreflight yet show VRP’s, and/or ‘circuits’, as Skydemon does?

Yes, it shows them although I can’t confirm their quality for all European countries. I can say that for Croatia they are correct.

Peter_G wrote:

Secondly, when I have used Foreflight in trial use, although the ‘search’ facility of Flight Planning a route was very quick, an incredible number of them failed to validate when I tried to file, due to errors – something I have never experienced with ‘autorouter’.

It’s still happening but they are improving.

Peter_G wrote:

Finally, as someone who only flies to about 10 new fields a year, when one has added the Jeppessen package for Europe to the upgraded edition of Foreflight (which I believe you need for reasonable options) you are coming towards nearly €1000. This makes Foreflight a slightly more expensive package than my Skydemon at £89 and a few plates printed off from home before I depart.

I use Eurocontrol (AIP) plates and the majority is georeferenced in FF. Although not standardized (Italy is the worst, sometimes unreadable) and not as good as Jeppesen, these plates can be used as alternative to Jeppesen and they come for free.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir: Thanks for your helpful comments.
Can you say which package you use?
I have been told that for serious IFR flying one needs the Pro Plus (£155.99 + VAT = £188); and the claim made by Foreflight that the Basic Plus (£77.99 + VAT = £93.58) contains “All the Essentials for VFR and IFR Flying” is slightly economical with the truth.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message