Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

I am not sentimental enough to hang onto old hardware. I still own the leather jacket i was wearing as a taxi driver in 1980, my first Nikon camera from 1978, and I have my father’s old watch.

But computers are only tools for me.

I absolutely don’t feel cheated. The iPhone 7 for example, has such a great camera, I enjoy it every day.

PS: I divide humanity in many more groups ;-)

Peter wrote:

but more so on ios where the desktop just fills up with update tags, and short of a jailbreak (which is a load of hassle) you can’t stop these.

You must be running a different iOS to everyone else :-) All I see on iOS (iPhone or iPad) is a little red number 1 on the settings icon. That’s it. No tags, nothing filling up “the desktop” (what desktop? none of my iOS devices have one). It’s about as unintrusive as you can get.

Last Edited by alioth at 22 Sep 08:45
Andreas IOM

What iOS update tags O.o ?

Is there an answer to my post #22? I always found that was the biggest hassle.

In any case, it’s clear that the main answer to the original post is that the whole market has expanded dramatically over those years. And Apple sells premium-price devices exclusively. However this situation is sure to end eventually, as smartphones reach saturation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had no time to play with the new File Manager of iOS 11 since I have only installed it yesterday.

But: When you receive an mp3 or a PDF you could always forward it, store it in iBooks or Good Reader or similar (PDF) or play it with the integrated iPad player, or store it in the Dropbox, or forward it directly from the eMail.

Re post 22, I believe if someone emails a file, then one could send that file back to another individual. But I haven’t played with Files enough to answer the rest.

Peter wrote:

And Apple sells premium-price devices exclusively.

Does it though? I know it’s well-known for the high-end stuff, as that’s presumably what excites a lot of the market, but they’ll still sell you an iPhone 5SE today for £299 – not especially expensive for a smartphone.

Peter wrote:

However this situation is sure to end eventually, as smartphones reach saturation.

Why would you say this? Watches reached saturation 50-100 years ago, but people still seem to want a premium version, now more than ever.

And if the smartphone market hasn’t reached saturation in the West now, by most definitions, I’d be surprised.

It was not possible to re-email files which could potentially be DRMd.

Regarding premium watches, sure they still sell, but the Swiss watch business has gone through real crises. At one point (when quartz came in) it nearly all went bust, then managed to reinvent itself cleverly. What I am saying is that the meteoric growth of the past decade or so is unlikely to be repeated – unless some new product appears which changes everything (like the spreadsheet did, and putting a phone in the Ipod did).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s not true. Only if it was content you have bought in the iTunes Store this might be the case. all other mp3 files can be forwarded without a problem. You can – legally – share music with your friends anyway, to a certain degree

Peter wrote:

What I am saying is that the meteoric growth of the past decade or so is unlikely to be repeated

Sure, I’d agree. And it’s certainly true that some of the new ‘features’ just released seem more about what Apple showing off what it can do, rather than what genuinely improves productivity – Face ID as one example.

But I wouldn’t bet against them coming out with the next killer game-changing feature, FaceTime in 3D, perhaps, like Princess Leia. All that r&d cash has to go somewhere.

Love this thread. A bit geriatric, but fun…

Let me see. I work in the one the topmost IT companies on this planet. Have upgraded all my work and home Macs recently, all iPhones and iPads in the family are on iOS11 by now and my watch got the upgraded last night. Heck, our IT approved iOS before it was released. Apple TV just announced it had updated itself. What’s wrong with upgrades? The vendor wants to give you enhanced, safer and richer software for free. What’s wrong with that? Out of the too many Apple devices in my life since, say 10 years, my OS related issues are almost zero. There was a bug a couple of years ago in iOS but it got fixed in maybe two days.

Why do you need to save and send files around? There’s this thing called cloud nowadays. IR not required, makes life much easier.

Sorry gents, but this “older is better” attitude is simply irrational and not backed by any evidence. Get the latest and enjoy it!

EFHF
Sign in to add your message