Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many here are radiating ADS-B, and how many can see *GA* ADS-B emitting aircraft?

I’ve just configured the RV-10 to send ADSB-OUT inline with the LAA’s latest rules.

They were under strict rules to set the SDA and SIL to 0, to ensure that the signal is clearly noted as ‘integrity not assured’

My Dynon Skyview has two GPS sources, firstly a normal one (Their GPS 250 product) and also a new one which is USA 2020 ADS-B Compliant, meaning a higher reliability and integrity.

If i set my dynon to use the 2020, it gave out SIL/SDA readings of 2 or 3 (can’t remember)…. and then if i chose the older GPS I could actually choose which values i wanted radiating, so i chose Zero.

I assume that when the UK’s ADS-B trial is over, i can then go with the high integrity 2020 source, but for now have to use the one with less integrity.

P.S. RV-10 still not got permit to test fly yet. Still waiting.

EGKL, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If I understand that correctly, that makes non-TSO ADS-B radiation a waste of time unless one has a tablet mounted somewhere to display the traffic.

This is the strong point, and why I guess they are allowing non compliance ADS-B. All these portable devices don’t care if the GPS source is a certified source or not. This makes the non compliance ADS-B quite low cost, AND ADS-B in low cost. It will give YOU better traffic awareness, just like that your TAS systems gives YOU better traffic awareness. The ADS-B variant has lower installation cost (for non compliance ADS-B out and ADS-B IN) then a TAS / GTS while they have a better accuracy. They have similair accuracy as Flarm (using same uncertified GPS position) tough with much better range, due to the high power output of the transponder, when compared to Flarm.

The only drawback as that not all mode S transponder have ADS-B (non compliance or in compliance).
Radiating ADS-B should be encouraged, as it will help all of use getting a the best traffic awareness for the lowest cost.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

JasonC wrote:

Is it high cost? Of course it is an aircraft. Everything is.

You are right, this part of the question was useless

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 14 Sep 06:52

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

@JasonC
Why are you upgrading ?
Is it at high cost ?

It is part of a larger overall G1000 software upgrade. It will be mandatory at some point. Cessna have savings on doing it now. Is it high cost? Of course it is an aircraft. Everything is.

Separately, I am a big believer in the benefits of ADS-B which come from more ubiquitous equipage.

EGTK Oxford

My Super Cub radiates ADS-B. I have a Trig TT21 transponder and a GNS430W

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

@JasonC
Why are you upgrading ?
Is it at high cost ?

Thanks to both of you. That is useful.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The ES indicates that the Garmin transponder is ADS-B capable. I will be upgraded in two weeks taking 33D to 33D-ES transponders.

If FR24 shows radar for your aircraft as MLAT then you are not radiating.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Sep 16:14
EGTK Oxford

If your GTX330 is hooked up for ES, there should be an AFMS for its use. Also when you power on the transponder, it will say GTX 330ES. Finally you can use the FUNC button to cycle thru the data being displayed:

FUNC – Changes the page shown on the right side of the display.
Display data includes Flight ID, Pressure Altitude, Flight Time, Altitude Monitor, Count Up, and Count Down timers. Also displays Outside Air Temperature, Density Altitude, Contrast, Display, and ADS-B Operation.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 13 Sep 16:01
KUZA, United States

I found this thread while trying to find out whether I am emitting ADS-B out when flying and so should use /B1 instead of the usual /S in the equipment field.
I understand from the above that just being shown on FR24 is not proof of ADS-B out, is that correct?
And if that is correct, how widespread is ADS-B out ind the mode-S equipped GA fleet?
The GTX 330 ES seems to be ADS-B upgradable, but how do you tell if it has been upgraded?
How about a WAAS Garmin 1000 ? and is WAAS GPS required for ADS-B?
What should I look for in the aircraft documentation to find out?

huv
EKRK, Denmark
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message