Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many long distance (500NM+) VFR Pilots are there?

Hi whiskeyPapa, I am happy you have the same experience. Never had a problem also with Frankfurt, Brussels or other big airports with a midfield crossing. I think it is much better than flying through their approach or departure path even when below or above their airspace behave professionionally with good communication and they are helpfull. Even receive very often a straight crossing of France during mid week.
Otherwise, as one French controller told me many years ago, you fly VFR so fly VFR. This especially means that you know all the time where you are and what ground clearance you have and need. Have lost quite a few very expierenced IFR rated friends flying VFR in IMC.
All the best

Germany

I have a great suggestion for Venice (place to stay) if you’re at least two…

Tököl LHTL

Hi WhiskeyPapa. I am flying down to the Giubiliana fairly soon.

When I visited to check things out, you could see Malta from the end of the runway! I will PM you to pick your brains as was planning to drop in on the Venice Lido too!

United Kingdom

@pa30
I agree with you. I find ATC helpful and almost always get a convenient transit of controlled airspace. Sometimes you have to climb or descend. For example, a couple days ago during a busy time Catania approach gave me a choice of under 1500 and 10 NM offshore or 5000 and cross the runway centerline. 90% of the time I’m given the transit I request without a change of altitude. But you have to be responsive if asked to do something. It helps to give them warning by passing on the request with the prior controller/Information frequency early on. It may sound like a bother to IFR pilots, but is quite easy when you ask in the right way.

& you’re right on the weather too… sometimes you have to wait. I’ve noticed that those are often days I wouldn’t be flying IFR either.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 03 May 19:35
Tököl LHTL

Flying since 1989 onyl VFR in the whole of Europe and in the US. I know it is more bothersome and needs more preparation than IFR but I love my freedom to fly when and where I want and most of the time can fly in straight lines. Had nothing but good experience with all the different services provided by ATC in all countries.
If weather does not allow than I wait a day.
All the best and save landings

Germany

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

How did you guess?

I think I remember discussing this type in the excellent thread we have on it here and you made some remarks about the 180 hp version you own(ed?) .

Yea, right, found it!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver
How did you guess?

@Peter
I’d say vis is about 150 meters, but improving….

Good thing we got here before the weather closed in!

& you’re right, the runway was not clear!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 03 May 11:49
Tököl LHTL

Nice Rallye! 180 hp?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That looks like it is somewhat below the min 400m EU viz for an IFR departure Dammit… there must be a few [very old] videos I can’t upload! Well, a video contains no time stamp, and until some years ago an N-reg could depart in zero-zero vis in the UK; still can in the USA.

But, seriously, no way to be sure the runway is clear.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Go/no go? Conditions at noon.

(The picture above this one was taken yesterday.)

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 03 May 11:37
Tököl LHTL
83 Posts
Sign in to add your message