Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many people have a GPWS / TAWS?

Or you can just activate TAWS B (eTAWS) on your Lynx NGT-9000 transponder.

Or just the TerrainVision option, which is about $800.

Lots of extra functionalities on this tiny unit, ADS-B in and out, wheather, active traffic, terrain awareness, aural warnings. Makes no sense to go the Garmin route…

LRIA, Romania

Well TAWS-A and -B are standards so there are certain things they must do. Some of the algorithms used are however somewhat vague.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgTSO.nsf/0/cc60d6b4c807869586256dc700717e5f/$FILE/C151b.pdf

local copy

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Mar 12:38
EGTK Oxford

500ft above

It does…

It actually gives you the main thing for IFR: CFIT protection.

Obviously I am saying this partly tongue in cheek but it is a good exercise to find out what exactly the certified systems give you. And you are going to have a hard time finding out… I have tried this with Garmin, Honeywell, and probably others, years ago. The info is confidential. It appears that you get some accounting for aircraft performance (whereas the handhelds like the Garmin Aera 660 and the Garmin 496 just project the current 3D trajectory for 2 minutes, AFAIK) and some more precise allowance for flying a published approach. And even on the 496 I was completely unsuccessful with Garmin; they refuse to talk about it.

So these companies charge 3 or 4 digits for some software + data but they don’t document what it actually does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a TAWS enablement for the Area 660. It does Terrain warning, but no such thing as callouts 500ft above runway, altitude loss after takeoff, etc.

Normal terrain warning is an out of the box feature for the GTNs as well – only if you need those callouts or are required to have certified TAWS you need to invest in those enablement cards.

Germany

Or you could go for this which seems to do the same thing, for 1/10 of the cost

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

TAWS-B should be enough

OK – I’ve now learned the difference between TAWS-A and TAWS-B, but it’s still beyond my budget:

Old dog learning new tricks

TAWS-B should be enough :-)

From here

yappmeister wrote:

Plus if you have the terrain alerting check it can be done over the water

That’s something (TAWS) I hadn’t even thought of. Having checked the pricing I think I will continue to not think of it!

Old dog learning new tricks

I don't know but I have never seen one seperate from the traffic system. People always seem to have both.

EGTK Oxford

Jason,

This thread prompted me to read the manual for the Honeywell KMH-880 EGPWS system in my aircraft.

I assume your TAWS-B was installed at the Factory as one of the Meridian listed options (Piper Meridian Specs 2013).
Am I correct in assuming that one can order a KMH-880 EGPWS ($12,000 ?) only as an add-on to the KTA-870 (Traffic Advisory System) (priced at $48,000 in 2013)?
Or, is the "$12,000" TWAS-B option listed in these specs simply the standard Garmin (for G1000) terrain awareness functionality ungraded to meet TWAS Class-B system requirements (remote warning annunciators/audio interface)?

YSCB
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message