Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much democracy in the cockpit

Like chrisparker, I would caution against ad hoc multicrew flying. If you are not used to it (like me) it is very hard and runs a real risk of control confusion and checklist items being missed. I am not talking about handing over control but the PF, PNF type of flying.

I find it very hard to even have someone else doing the radios as my process and habits are around doing everything.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I find it very hard to even have someone else doing the radios as my process and habits are around doing everything.

It does take more training to do multi-pilot well.

Last Edited by chrisparker at 03 Feb 22:44
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Relinquishing the radio is not hard, and if it is probably because of being too obsessed with the radio. Of course its a lot easier if the other pilot has good radio skills.

chrisparker wrote:

It does take more training to do multi-pilot well.

We tried it during the type rating in Orlando for a couple of days. The airline pilot couldn’t do single crew and I couldn’t do multi crew. By couldn’t do it I mean we both struggled with doing it – “what are you doing raising my gear??”

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

By couldn’t do it I mean we both struggled with doing it – “what are you doing raising my gear??”

It’s all about communication!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

chrisparker wrote:

It’s all about communication

Of course. My point is that it is not intuitive for someone used to single pilot ops.

EGTK Oxford

Which is one reason airlines are wary about hiring people with lots of single pilot time in any context. It is no coincidence that some of the worst Bizjet skippers I have flown with have been those with thousands of hours of single pilot time and an attitude to match.

On the light aircraft front, the key as others have mentioned is clearly defining the roles before the flight. I am quite happy for people to do the radio for example (and do so for others when I go sandbagging IFR) as long as a question for example is met by a standby and a quick chat (this is how it works in multi crew cockpits) and that is made clear. It is easier if you have a good relationship with whoever you are flying with. The awkward moments can be when flying with fellow group members you don’t know so well in an aircraft you both know well and have different styles of flying or operating.

London area

Don’t you need an MCC for a twin jet rating in Europe. I realise the MCC may not in itself provide a solid grounding in multi-crew, but it at least provides a base line?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Josh wrote:

It is no coincidence that some of the worst Bizjet skippers I have flown with have been those with thousands of hours of single pilot time and an attitude to match.

single pilot time does not automatically lead to attitude, just as as CAT pilots aren’t all arrogant

Last Edited by JasonC at 04 Feb 10:16
EGTK Oxford

RobertL18C wrote:

Don’t you need an MCC for a twin jet rating in Europe.

Not for a twin jet authorised to be flown single pilot.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message