Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much democracy in the cockpit

To throw in a real world example. Suppose you’re a passenger in a DA40 and you’re faced with a turn to final like this:

Would you say something about it?

“Are we there yet?”

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Looks a good approach to me, right base, with a bit of wind from the right

On an ILS, probably within 1/8 scale deflection

Hmmm… the speed looks a bit low! I normally keep it in the yellow, whatever that is…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Hmmm… the speed looks a bit low!

Low? It’s the upper end of the flaps extended range… remember the DA40 is not exactly supersonic.

LSZK, Switzerland

lenthamen wrote:

Would you say something about it?

A skidding turn to final at low altitude… A classic spin situation. The airspeed looks ok, though, so I wouldn’t say anything in the air, but I would keep an eye on the ASI!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I cannot see the slip ball.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Using my earlier analogy, might be one for the pair to look at again

It has two slip/skid indicators – one ball integrated in the backup attitude indicator, and one is a triangle at the top of the HSI which is unreadable. The ball indicates a slight skidding turn, half a ball out.

So he overshot base and is too high, probably forgot to compensate for a tailwind on base.

If I were the instructor, for a close to solo student and assuming the bank angle and speed are stable and handling smooth, I would do exactly nothing, and just debrief on downwind.

As passenger I would say nothing, depending on my relationship to the pilot I might mention it after the flight.

With bank angle rapidly increasing, I’d probably say “oi, bank angle” (passenger or instructor, no difference).

Last Edited by Cobalt at 04 Feb 20:23
Biggin Hill

USFlyer wrote:

Sharing PIC responsibiloity in a single-pilot situation is not appropriate.

That’s a very odd statement for a pilot. It’s a bit like saying that you’re in favour of motherhood and clean drinking water.

Of course the words “in a single-pilot situation” are totally unnecessary. PIC responsibility can never be shared. It doesn’t matter if it’s single pilot or multi pilot situations.

Of course there is no reason why a pilot can’t offload certain tasks (extremely common with an autopilot) or evaluate other information sources (DI, VOR, GPS, smoke direction, ATC, sat comms weather, or an experienced pilot who also happens to be onboard).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Cobalt wrote:

It has two slip/skid indicators – one ball integrated in the backup attitude indicator, and one is a triangle at the top of the HSI which is unreadable. The ball indicates a slight skidding turn, half a ball out.

Not on top of the HSI but on top of the AI. It is the bottom part of the triangle making up the angle-of-bank pointer.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Feb 20:52
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message