Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How rusty are you?

LT (Norway CAA) has issued a card to “calculate” how rusty you are. They call it a "safety card. I think it’s rather cool and will very fast give you a good assessment of how you are doing. Others may disagree I guess. It would be interesting to hear what you think, and why.

It’s divided in flying skills and knowledge. Every item you can hook off is one point. Then you sum up the skill and knowledge points and can see how you are doing for each. We have started using something similar to evaluate/prepare for the first flight when building planes (homebuilt).

Red means (“Good grief”) you are rusty – you have to shape up
Yellow means oops – there may be certain things you need to focus on
Green means OK – you got the correct focus on safety (but should be on guard)

It’s obviously focused on basic skills for the recreational pilot of light aircraft during the last year.

The skill points. One point for each one you can hook off.

• More than 30 h
  • More than 20 h
  • More than 10 h
  • More than 40 landings
  • More than 30 landings
  • More than 20 landings
  • Flown more than 3 types/models
  • Flown with an instructor
  • Practiced engine failure
  • Flown at a controlled airfield
  • Practiced at a short field
  • Practiced tail wheel
  • Practiced at a soft field
  • Practiced acro or “unusual attitude”
  • Practiced cross wind landings
  • Flown cross country (min 300 km)
  • Has evaluated own skills / personal minimum criteria

The knowledge points. One point for each one you can hook off.

• Studied the handbook of the airplane
  • Studied investigation reports
  • Studied regulations: Part NCO/FCL
  • Studied AIP
  • Checked NOTAM
  • Done a “refresh flight”
  • Participated on a safety meeting
  • Used an app for nav and weather information
  • Know about practice in uncontrolled airspace
  • Studied net based safety information
  • Studied EASA safety information
  • Done a detailed navigation planning
  • Read articles about air safety
  • Done weight and balance calculations
  • Know your mental limits
  • Participated in fly-ins/air shows
  • Studied the GA portal of LT (CAA)

I’m all green btw. I haven’t done a “refresh flight” and done a real weight and balance calculation

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Very interesting. What is the timescale for the hours and landings? Last 12 months? Total?

Edit: just noticed “12 måneder” which I assume means 12 months. I get 5 skill points then…rusty.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 05 Jul 13:04
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes, last 12 months.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Right at the bottom of the green area, I need to study/participate in more safety-related things.

ESME, ESMS

I’ve done all except tail wheel and the “Studied the GA portal of LT (CAA)”.

I am surprised they don’t allocate 10 points to the tail wheel one

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am green.

I have not flown more than 3 types (3 exactly, unfortunately), not been to a safety meeting, not been to a fly-in nor studied the GA Portal of the national CAA. The rest I have ticked off.

Tailwheel should be 100 points. 150 if you keep it in a bucket ;-)

EGLM & EGTN

What is the safety-benefit of flying tailwheel aircraft for pilots who normally fly only tricycle-undercarriage aircraft?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

What is the safety-benefit of flying tailwheel aircraft for pilots who normally fly only tricycle-undercarriage aircraft

Higher skill and highlighted attention towards crossing aileron and rudder controls when it’s beneficial in any aircraft and mandatory in a tail wheel aircraft. Teaching the benefits of keeping the aircraft aligned with the direction of motion when landing. Teaching better control of descent rate at touchdown during landing. Better understanding of the effects of the propeller during each phase of takeoff, and the control actions that counteract P-factor and keep the plane under better control. Better understanding of the effect of wind during taxi and takeoff and the control actions that counteract wind and keep the plane under control. Better understanding of how the above noted effects can combine, e.g. P-factor plus wind on takeoff, and how to address the combined situation.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jul 15:16

MedEwok wrote:

What is the safety-benefit of flying tailwheel aircraft for pilots who normally fly only tricycle-undercarriage aircraft?

Come and spend a day with me!! I find it interesting when I take a raw PPL with experience only of tri gear aircraft, and then take them aloft in a taildragger. I start my course with a good deal of time on ground handling and taxying before we go near the take off and landing stage. It would appear, but not limited too, eye periphery and keeping your head out of the cockpit on flare that gives difficulty. Also the requirement for good, alert hand and feet co-ordination. Wind direction is all important!!

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 05 Jul 16:25
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

What Silvaire and and BeechBaby say is very true, but it’s also a running joke that only tailwheel flying is proper flying ;-)

EGLM & EGTN
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message