Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to counter application of nonsensical EU regulations to GA?

Apparently Austria has started to apply an EU regulation that passengers are not allowed onto airside without a “boarding card” to GA traffic.

Previously, it was enough in airports such as Innsbruck, Salzburg, or Graz (& Linz??) for a GA pilot to show his passport and pilot licence in order to be allowed, after security scanning of course (another nonsense topic), to proceed to his/her Archer, Trinidad, Mooney, etc, along with his/her passengers. I have now heard that large numbers of pre-numbered “boarding cards” (called Boadkoatn in Austrian dialect) have now been printed and one needs to be completed, by hand, with the name of the passenger, one for each. Once passing the control, these can be thrown into the nearest waste container.

Just another bright EU idea to increase the overhead (read “handling” fees) for GA with no added-value or security benefit?

Surely AOPA AT is on this one, trying to stop it in the bud? Anyone know?

LSZK, Switzerland

I have this at my home airport. Need to fill a card with name and document number for every passenger and self.

Heard it was introduced after a Seneca took off from EPPO and crashed into terrain in 2013. It wasn’t clear who was on board. Not sure if it’s true. Maybe just coincidence. I’ve seen boarding cards for GA on other controlled airports in Poland, for example EPWA, EPSY.

LPFR, Poland

Salzburg has been doing this for quite a while.

EGKB Biggin Hill

It is interesting to see how such “EU regulations” are applied arbitrarily across the EU. Fortunately, many/most countries apply such idiocy with a dash of pragmatism. During travels all over Europe, the only other place that I have ever encountered this was in Bucharest Baneasa LRBS on Wednesday, where everyone (incl pilots) needed to write their name on such a paper slip before passing through security screening.

Thank goodness there are still countries and airports around where this and security screening is not required for GA traffic, recognizing the regulation for what it is in that context … nonsense and just a bad joke.

LSZK, Switzerland

I would not be sure that it is EU regulations applied here or just a whim of the local CAA, which in turn blames it on the EU because they know most people will then simply shrug and walk away. But in SZG this has been done for a long time as I recall. But it was free last time I used it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Any reference to this “EU regulation” ? It’s not an EASA regulation?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

chflyer wrote:

(& Linz??)

Last time I flew from LOWL (Linz) was about a year ago and they didn’t practice that nonsense.

For years, if I fly from Inverness to Wick, with my Inverness airside badge, I am given a paper pass by the FBO to return to my aircraft. Both airports are operated by HIAL.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

In July, I made a trip around the North of Europe. We, one pilot, a passenger and myself, flew over and landed in France, Germany, Poland, Sweden and Denmark at small (Koblenz, Torun, Kiel, Barth, Magdeburg City, Bagisz, Reims) or bigger (Halmstad, Aalborg) airports. During this 5 day trips, we all had our papers (French ID card) on us.

No one asked us for any ID at all before or during any flight. We went through Customs nowhere and filed no declaration whatsoever as we have been flying within Schengen all the time. We were quite surprised to see that it is possible to fly accross Europe without showing any ID for 5 days in 5 different countries. Obviously, we filed the necessary Flight Plans, and the German briefing called me to check upon one Flight Plan not filed properly. But appart from that, we met no Customs nor Police officer during that entire journey, which was done VFR.

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

I doubt its an EU regulation. In Estonia its practiced in all airports with commercial traffic, but the not others.
I think the origin comes from Airport Manual and is just internal procedure..

EETU, Estonia
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message