Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to start touring?

Hello,

First time posting in the forum, I am a low time PPL with some 30h-ish PIC and I am looking to start touring regularly betwen UK and France with my family: the only way to keep flying while spending weekends toghether :)

Most of my flying was solo with small navs with friends, so I don’t have much confidence that I can do (safe) extensive touring.

I did some cross-channels from the P2 seat, it did not seem complicated but I dont feel confident doing the same with my family.

To boost my confidence on weather factors, I am looking to do a UK IMC rating but I have a gut feeling that I should slow down a bit.

Any advices how to “train” on touring?

Thanks a lot,

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Welcome!
I might state the obvious, but why don’t you swap seats with the pilot whith whom you crossed the channel as P2? Maybe repeat that or do it solo if you don’t feel confident to take your family with you after the first time? Of course you could take an FI with you, but I don’t think that would be of any advantage. The IMC rating will not be valide outside the UK, but you probably know that.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

It’s great you want to do this with your family. (Touring is for me the point of flying.). But I would recommend you do several trips in the left seat alone or with another pilot before loading up the family. There is a psychological point here: your wife/husband must have confidence in your flying, and you don’t want him or her observing you making the inevitable newbie mistakes.

You’re absolutely right “it’s not that complicated” when the weather is good. In fact, it’s less complicated than people make it out to be. But things can get complicated fast when the weather is marginal or worse. So your idea of an IMC rating is sensible. If you’re going to tour VFR, you need to be comfortable in marginal conditions. Crossing water can easily lead to de facto IMC (or at least no horizon line) in conditions that are legally VFR.

So the advice is “just go”—but do it first in weather conditions which are good and don’t take the family until it’s old hat. When you do take the family, pick a place they’d really like going to and do a dry run without them first.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 11 Feb 06:50
Tököl LHTL

Hook up with another flying friend and go wherever you want. :)

I would not recommend the IMC Rating but it would absolutely make sense for you to do some IFR training with a freelance instructor. You can do this is any properly equipped aircraft. Even though you are not getting a rating you will be a lot safer pilot if you encounter weather or “white out” over the water. Just follow your instruments.

Then in a few years you can bet the Basic Instrument Rating that will come but no one knows when.

ESSZ, Sweden

I agree that for VFR touring the rating is not so important as the ability to fly on instruments when needed, and the confidence you can fly a localizer or glide slope successfully in an emergency.

I am not instrument rated, but trying to finish up this year. Nevertheless, the training has kept me out of trouble. The point isn’t that you look for bad conditions. It’s just that sometimes conditions are worse than forecast and bad weather finds you. That should not rattle you.

Tököl LHTL

Where do you fly from? I’m generally interested with trips to France as have family in a couple different places.
Doing a CRI rating in March so would be happy to do it as free instruction too

Treat your first flights with the family like a 30 minute trial lesson. A common mistake is to launch on a long flight, and the first time, anything over 30 minutes may feel long in a general aviation aircraft. A nice local tour with lots of straight and level and gentle turns, ideally when the circuit is not busy and the air is calm. Build up gently from there, after a couple of flights plan a short land away and return.

Launching on a tour before acclimatising your family to GA, and the need for flexibility, ie planned flights you cancel because of weather, may put you, and your family, under unnecessary pressure.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Baby steps…..start off with small trips just into France. Some great weekends can be had at Le Touquet, Dinard, St. malo Deauville etc, even the Channel Islands. Fly in good weather and get used to reading and interpreting the Airports AIP entry details for opening hours and customs requiredments. Depending on where your fly out of in the U.K., these can all be reached in about an hour. When you are comfortable with these try La Rochelle, it’s about a 2 1/2 flight. The IMC is a great next step in your training, although not valid in Europe, it will improve your flying and NAV skills and improve your confidence.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Ibra wrote:

I did some cross-channels from the P2 seat, it did not seem complicated but I dont feel confident doing the same with my family.

It IS not complicated. Within central Europe, the most important task is to find a nice destination you and your family will enjoy. Furthermore:

• The plane keeps behaving the same when you passed a border
  • You won’t get shot in Europe, even if you make a mistake
  • Navigation works the same in the UK or in continental Europe. You don’t have to fly on the other side of the runway.

Most likely you have been trained to fly cross country, and if you hold an EASA PPL, you have done so, solo. Explain to your family where you will be flying, how they might assist you (e.g. holding charts (if applicable), looking out for traffic, listening to your callsign on the radio, etc.).

Plan a day or so “delay” for weather during spring or summer, and be prepared to go back via train or airline, if you have to be back on time.

You’ll be fine. Enjoy.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I don’t understand why anyone would “NOT” recommend the IMCR. It’s far more accessible than an IR.

Forever learning
EGTB
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message