Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would one check out a maintenance company?

This is a common issue but I don’t think most aircraft owners find a good way to do it – probably because in many cases they have very few options.

I have been to companies where you had to wear rubber boots to walk on the floor. OTOH the mechanics there may have been very good… (based on ones I know I doubt it).

Would one look at the aircraft they are working on? If it is all beaten-up wreckage, does it mean their clients want a cheap job, so you will get one too? But if the planes are shiny new ones, could it be that they simply have a client base which doesn’t get involved so can’t tell if a bad job is done? Most GA planes will go on for years without any grease.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As a renter, I admit to having little experience with aircraft maintenance shops. But based on my experience with car repair shops, the more grease you see on the bosses’ hands and overall, the better it is run.

I would think there is little insight to be gained for an average pilot by physically inspecting a shop. The judgment should be made on your conversations with them about different issues. If they treat you with respect, take time to explain your options, and generally don’t contradict themselves or some generally accepted knowledge, it is already a good start.

There is also Savvy which you can hire to find a shop for you and manage your maintenance, or you can just get them to consult you as a neutral third party. If a shop gets along with them well, I would generally feel more confident in their ability to make good decisions on your plane.

One indirect sign: an aircraft engineer/mechanic who also owns and flies an aicraft is usually a good one.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

One indirect sign: an aircraft engineer/mechanic who also owns and flies an aircraft is usually a good one.

The two A&Ps who regularly help me (one an IA) own and fly six planes between them, plus at least one ongoing rebuild project, and don’t work as mechanics for their 40 hr week living. A real job plus 3 planes or so of their own to maintain means that if nothing else, they are too busy to think about anal retentive money wasting nonsense on my two planes… they leave that to me

The secret to finding a mechanic (or company employing mechanics) is to know enough and be involved enough that it doesn’t greatly matter whether the guy with the pen and number is really good… because you’ll be there to straighten things out if necessary. I think that’s the harsh reality, and there aren’t any good shortcuts.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Aug 02:54

I dont think you can tell by looking at the premises the company work out off. You can have a nice shinny building and new equipment but if the staff employed aren’t any good you’re going to get a crap job. Talk to the people that are going to work on your aircraft if you can. If the boss has a good attitude and communicates well that’s a good start. Also get feedback from other customers. Bear in mind that someone some where is always going to have a problem with any company no matter how good they are.
Just because the engineer/mechanic flys doesn’t mean they are going to be any better at their job. One guy I worked with had his PPL and if I ever saw the guy stood next to an aircraft I was going to fly I wouldn’t get in it. In reality you’ll probably find that 95% of UK aircraft engineer/fitters have no interest in flying apart from a passing interest. Out of about 230 people that work at the service centre that I work in there are only 2 of us that fly. But the people I work with are some of the best guys in the industry. But there is a majority that are into old cars or motorbikes, also radio controlled aircraft. Its an interest in engineering that you want to look for.
I’d say talk to the people who are going to look after your plane. If they communicate well are interested in you and your business then that’s a good start. Also customer feedback.

Near Luton

Soon the question will be how will a mantenance company vet its customers ?

Between the EASA over regulation, airfields closing, low wages and the difficulty of getting a maintenance licence for simple types we now have a situation where only a few maintenance companies will survive the lack of licensed personnel.

Just about all the people in the industry who have licence cover for GA types are within ten years of retirement and it is simply not attractive to younger people to get into GA because the rewards are small and the effort to get the licence is large.

Next time you go to your BMW or Audi dealer look as the hourly rate for work, the training required and the manufacturer support for training and it will become clear why GA is not the place to be if you are good with a wrench.

Soon the question will be how will a mantenance company vet its customers ?

I think A&C you are looking for this

Just about all the people in the industry who have licence cover for GA types are within ten years of retirement

In the UK, and I think quite a few other places, you could say that for any profession which requires more skill than pressing the middle button on an Ipad… Plumbing, decorating, electrics…

But, the way I look at this, it creates an opportunity for somebody who is really good. For example freelance FAA A&P/IAs are in great demand and have so much work they are turning customers down. You could say this is the result of the Part M / Part 21 regulation-supported money making machine, and it’s true that with N-reg you can choose a good freelancer whereas the Part M options are tricky because you are dealing with a company.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You could say this is the result of the Part M / Part 21 regulation-supported money making machine, and it’s true that with N-reg you can choose a good freelancer whereas the Part M options are tricky because you are dealing with a company.

Why? Under EASA regulations you could use a freelancer, or a company, the same as under FAA regulations. Part 21 doesn’t have anything to do with it, Part 21 is design / production and does not affect normal maintenace

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message