Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would you develop a European flight planning program?

The exchange of data with Eurocontrol is quite complicated and takes lots of patience and effort to work it out, but lots of data is available. Apple allows apps to lock down the iPad screen. Then you have the approach chart stable on your screen. I have no idea how Jepp gets the German VFR airport charts.

The Jepp IFR terminal charts are highly priced, but very consistent. Every pilot is of course free to pay up the money and be happy with the charts. If you want to go for an alternative approach, using the AIP charts is an option...

EDLE, Netherlands

Or maybe Apple would allow an app into their shop which kills its screen until one of the side
buttons is pressed?

as I am following the development of the Bendix-King myWingMan app (future price 299EUR p.a. for all of Europe IFR/VFR) - it has got that lock feature (i.e. Apple allows it already) which you can activate once you have displayed an approach or airway chart. It's a symbol showing an open or closed padlock in the very right upper corner of the program.

EDxx, Germany

I agree re the AIPs being often full of crap but if any trouble blows up, the AIP will be thrown at you for sure. And one finds some strange stuff in there... for example if you go to Pontoise, you get assigned a SID which is not published. It turns out to be a SID for Le Bourget!

If you mean the TSU and VILLA SIDs, these now appear for LFPT and LFPB in Jeppesen. In my experience so far, Jepp are better at putting STARs and SIDs under multiple. ICAO codes. Look at the AIPs for Coventry/Birmingham and the GROVE arrivals.

EGTK Oxford

There is no doubt that Jeppesen is doing a great job with their charts/plates.

EDLE, Netherlands
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message