Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Howard DGA

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks for the link, that DGA is a very nice one!… and the Puss Moth article was an enjoyable read too. One time about 10 years ago I was telling some ‘antiquers’ that like many I admire the Staggerwing, and one of them said “yes, but a Howard is a better plane.” Subsequently I found out that some of those who have owned both agree, so I think I’d like a Howard!

It’s phenomenal how much effort people put into restoring the big classics. It makes building an RV or similar look like a relatively small job. Sometimes owners do get help… On the page prior to the Howard article there’s a photo of a Luscombe sedan. That particular aircraft was restored in the early 80s (two owners ago) and much of the work was done by a 20-something year old A&P who left work every day, drove to the airport, flew his Luscombe 8A thirty miles to another airport, worked on the Sedan there, then flew home to bed. Some of the stories about him working late then flying home minus cockpit or landing lights are amusing. He never got a lot of credit in subsequent magazine articles on the resultant Grand Champion winning restoration, although he did help fly it to all 48 continental US states after the restoration. Then, through some kind of poetic justice things worked themselves out nicely years later. Another guy who had a very similar Luscombe Sedan had watched all the above happening, and when he retired from flying years later he GAVE his plane to the now 50-something ‘young’ guy who is a friend of mine. He brought that plane up to beautiful condition over a year or so and now has it, plus still having the original 8A that he flew back and forth…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Nov 04:59

Silvaire if you haven’t read C’est la folie, one of the characters is a very nicely maintained Luscombe with fabric covered wings. Quite an amusing book especially if you are fond of France. The author is now selling it and for very reasonable value.

http://luscombeforsale.co.uk

I have some time in a Luscombe but many years ago. Very well mannered and not squirelly – and a solid 100mph on 3 1/2 gph is still impressive.

…also enjoyed your friend’s restoration project of a sedan.

What makes this DGA perform so well? Choice of airfoil, careful build to minimise parasitary drag, … ?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan compared with the Staggerwing one less wing and no wires (except on the tail plane). This excellent series of MIT vintage films give you a good sense of the effect on drag of streamlining, or lack thereof with exposed wires. Even so they probably seem to have similar performance.

Compared to a Bonanza it just may be due to a 10lbs/HP power ratio. Probably 30% better than a Bonanza?

There is a Belgian DGA project for sale on planecheck.com with your name on it.

@RobertL18C, I used to read Michael Wright’s column in the Telegraph and enjoyed it a lot!

450 HP goes a long way towards good performance, particularly in climb, but I think the notable thing about the big classics is their GIANT, luxurious cabins.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message