Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I can file!

FAA AMEL ASEL IR! It’s been a long journey and a long time coming. What a b**ch of a rating. Holy moly, yours truly must have been the only VFR only Aerostar pilot in the world for that long.. Hope I don’t mess it up in actual by myself when that time comes. But until then – a beer is in place. Don’t want to see an approach plate again for a few days…

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Aug 00:37

Congratulations Adam!

Thanks, Silvaire!

Well done. It will make flying far easier for you and will add utility to the aircraft.

EGTK Oxford

Congrats Adam!

With a turbo Aerostar it makes perfect sense flying > FL180.

Actually, I’m going to miss reading about your VFR low-level scud running and desert dirt strip exploits.

Now you’ve got a stranger in front of a radar scope telling you where & how to fly, and all your navigation reports will be the same! (“I got cleared direct XYZ. Joined the approach. Then intercepted the localizer. Then I landed” etc)

Welcome to the boring part of your pilot career

Actually, I’m going to miss reading about your VFR low-level scud running and desert dirt strip exploits.

Me too!
Well done Adam.

Forever learning
EGTB

Well done Adam. I remember the FAA IR – very hard work and much harder than the Euro one. What plane did you do it in?

Welcome to the boring part of your pilot career

Not really. IFR vastly opens up the mission capability and is a huge factor in keeping flying bith useful and interesting.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congratulations, Adam I concur with Peter anybody saying the FAA IR is a free ride go do it and find it out yourself! I did mine a bit more then a year ago and I sometimes still think of the Phoenix Training Areas and the circus over Stanfield VOR and the approaches into CASA GRANDE….oooh man…..VDP, MDA, DA…..TTTTTT….One of the flight schools there give you T-shirt after passing “I survived CASA GRANDE”…

EBST

Thanks gentlemen!

Peter – I did it in my own plane. Trained haphazardly over the years, but never got much consistency. Decided to do one of those 10-day intensive courses in your own plane that PIC offers just to get it done. Did pretty well I thought, then went right ahead and messed up the check ride but not being able to “join V394” on the 430. My knowledge was only skin deep and it came back to bite me big time. What a low point, almost gave up after that. But, did some more training and 2 weeks later I passed. But agreed, it’s a tough rating to get. They say it might be the toughest one. Also, at older age it gets real hard to retain information, so do it while your young if you can!

I really look forward to the utility this rating will bring. Now my dispatch will go up and I can actually use the plane as was intended – for business and longer travels. I’m already planning my trip to Europe next summer…

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Aug 09:58
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message