Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing with a CB overhead the airport

I had a wild landing at Shoreham, with a CB overhead raining and making 30kt+ gusts.

Wind (runway bearing 203) was given as 260/17 which would normally be no issue at all.

Landing itself was fine in terms of any “hardness” but it ran out of rudder authority and the plane skidded sideways a bit, in a “jumpy” manner. Obviously the runway was wet which didn’t help.

According to ATC the gust was in the 30s kt.

Another lesson learnt; next time I will orbit for 10 mins.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, classic windshear scenario. I was concerned about exactly this yesterday arriving just before have TS and rain at Oxford. As well as the gusting wind you have the risk of rapidly descending air from the TS leading to all sorts or weird effects from wind changes to serious shear. Google microbursts.

Last Edited by JasonC at 17 Jan 19:21
EGTK Oxford

Thanks for sharing, so we remember to orbit.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

This video brought home how powerful microbursts are.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

This video brought home how powerful microbursts are.

In the simulator they can show these up to ones that have brought down airliners. They can be unrecoverable even with perfect technique climbing away on the edge of a stall. It is terrifying.

EGTK Oxford

I noticed over the years that VC TS will close an airport in the US (groundstop) while in europe ops continue. I also notice that CB/TS in europe are getting stronger in intensity. Seems like we‘ll need to experience our own share of microburst deaths until we become smarter.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Indeed

EGTK Oxford

Snoopy wrote:

I noticed over the years that VC TS will close an airport in the US (groundstop

Correct and in both the IR and the CPL syllabus this scenario is a no-land, divert (or hold for CB to move away) decision.

Actually I think it was a TS. Not a CB

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I noticed over the years that VC TS will close an airport in the US (groundstop) while in europe ops continue

That is not correct. At EBBR all ground ops are stopped when TS VC. Passengers can’t (dis)embark, taxi clr is witheld, no tkof clr.
Ground personnel has to stay inside,… Aircraft can still land if they elect to. As per ICAO rules.

EBST, Belgium
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message