Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I met a drone (I think)

I’m on a convoluted business trip in the US. Yesterday I was inbound to the wonderful Mohave airport, about 15mi NE of the Edwards Air Force base. The ever helpful Biblical sounding control had volunteered clearance through restricted airspace and I could hear a call sign UAVxx on the channel being given data of my approach, opposite direction 12 o’clock 10miles 1500’ below.

At no time did they give me reports on the other aircraft. (Unlike Mickey Mouse UK, ATC traffic reports in the US are not given to satisfy bureaucratic performance quotas: traffic is meant to be seen and acknowledged). This means traffic reports are given to both crews: but not this day. The crew of the other plane sounded exactly as if they were on board and it only ocurred to me that they might not be when I saw the aircraft, a very strange configuration that I don’t intend to describe here.

I called traffic in sight and ATC thanked me and passed my report to the other crew. But at no time did the other crew advise having me in sight, despite their undoubted superior airforce eyesight, presumably because they are not equipped for ‘see and avoid’ .

So is this how it’s going to be? Aircraft with a normal sounding flight crew communicating normally with ATC, but not actually on board. It’s a way to mix UAV and other traffic sharing the airspace, which is fact now and much much more to come.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Nice experience ! Any idea what type it was?

I am not sure if they can see you. Their onboard cameras are optimised for tracking ground based targets. A airborne target might be difficult to spot and track from the air for them. They might have access though to a tactical picture composed from military ground-borne and/or airborne radars, which would allow them to visualise you, but that’s not enough for visual separation.

I did meet a UAV on the frequency this summer when flying into the airshow at Kleine Brogel, Belgium. The UAV operator checked in on the same frequency. No traffic call or anything but it was surprising indeed. Check the video account here

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message