Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums


If someone held an ICAO CPL and last flew over 30 years ago. What would be needed to get a UK PPL?

Have contacted Uk CAA but they are taking their time.


United Kingdom


It seems to depend what you want to do with it.
If it’s simply PPL with VFR, there are a few things to do, but it seems quite simple.
If you previously had a UK licence and currently have an EASA, there is a procedure, described here :

If you didn’t but only want to fly in the UK with your validated foreign licence, the procedure is here :

Other exceptions and additional licence conversion options are available, they can be found on the right side of the above links, depending on what your current licence is and what you want to do in the UK.

I hope this helps

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

If someone held an ICAO CPL and last flew over 30 years ago

@TwinPiston I know that post is almost a year old and somehow slipped through getting answered… what ICAO CPL is it and is it still valid?

The UK does not accept any non-UK training / logbook entries towards a UK PPL. Only the US accept non-US training (which amazingly it does towards any license or rating). So it would have to be on the basis of a valid foreign license, and there are some routes for that e.g. the old “100hr” route. But if it is say an FAA CPL (the most likely) then if he hasn’t flown for 30 years he obviously won’t have a valid BFR, so nothing is valid. And after 30 years he won’t be able to do a BFR without some training.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter
It’s a Canadian licence
Apparently if it’s renewed in Canada the UK CAA might accept it
We’re close to get it done I’ll post here once it’s (hopefully) done

United Kingdom

You can do an ICAO to UK PPL conversion you need 100 hours p1 and a couple of written exams and then a skills test.

The probelm is everything on the ICAO licence has to be correct and the time of application including the canadain medical

Sorry, yes – 100hr is what I meant to say. Post edited.

@Qalupalik ought to know about Canadian stuff.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Canadian flight instructor conducting the flight review to re-establish recency is likely to have explained the document booklet application and LP assessment requirements. If a medical certificate must be issued by Transport then expect it to take three to nine months. Note that the UK FRTOL, equivalent to the Canadian ROC-A, requires a practical test with an RT examiner.

Dublin, Ireland

Thank you for getting back to me on this
Yes the pilot in question is back in Canada getting all things sorted
So hopefully will paperwork afterwords

United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top