Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing for General Aviation Pilots (Video)

And the Golze product is great. Highly recommended.

EGTK Oxford

I’m with you Gene …

As much as I commend the effort of making and posting the video, it made me very uneasy.

IMHO , not enough was said about AVOIDING icing conditions at all costs.

I kept waiting, 5 minutes, 10, 15, almost 20 minutes collecting ice and the divert never came.

How much more ice would it have taken before the pilot took deliberate diversion actions ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

IMHO, if you know your aircraft well, this is no problem. I have done this sort of experiment too, though I never got a video of it.

And so much depends on your escape routes. If that video had been made above the Alps, that would not be clever

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You said the word: “experiment”, and that makes the pilot an Experimental Test Pilot.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It was a demonstration video. Don’t be silly. Saying I am now diverting would have lost the demo….

It was for information, better to understand icing than be so terrified of it.

EGTK Oxford

I think NASA and AOPA have already done that quite admirably.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

So no one else is allowed to?

EGTK Oxford

Hi Gene,

As others have said, the Golze product is great and fills a gap here in Europe regarding weather data during flight.
Don’t go flying without it!

In this case it has been used slightly outside it’s design parameters, since it does not replace on board weather radar, as Jason has pointed out before quite correctly and is meant for tactical planning, ideally with visual reference.

A great product!

Uhm- A lot of ice under the wing due to pitch angle… I am in need of a change of pants now.

Last Edited by complex-pilot at 04 Jan 22:08
As much as I commend the effort of making and posting the video, it made me very uneasy.

IMHO , not enough was said about AVOIDING icing conditions at all costs.

I kept waiting, 5 minutes, 10, 15, almost 20 minutes collecting ice and the divert never came.

How much more ice would it have taken before the pilot took deliberate diversion actions ?

I thought the safety analysis in the last 5 mins of the video was spot on. If the pilot had made precisely the right choices throughout, the video would not have been so educational.

I was flying from Corlu (close to Istanbul) to Samsun (Black Sea costal city) over Ankara on Saturday at FL100-120 with temeratures betwwen -7 and -10. Although icing was not forcasted on this route (clear skies were forcasted with ocassionaly stratus layer at 8000 ft), it started somwhere near Ankara and lasted until descent was started. It started with supercooled water droplets then some ice crystals and snow. Almost two hours of light to moderate icing with TKS taking care of that spending 7 galons of fluid. The aircraft was TB20 unfortunatelly without autopilot but luckily two pilots on board hand-flying in full IMC, night and icing conditions. We were changing every 15 minutes but I was not in the mood of shooting video Constantly looking at the amount of accumulated ice, I was quite sure we were on the safe side. We haven’t had any ice over the wings and at least half of leading edges of the wings were completely clear of the ice while the rest had some 5-10 mm of ice. The elerons, stabilator, rudder, trim and rudder trim were excersised regularly to prevent possible freezing which was not a problem due to hand flying

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message