Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing for General Aviation Pilots (Video)

Same if you have an aircraft with TKS. That is an anti-ice and not a de-ice system, so you have to make sure that the aircraft is wetted with the fluid before you accumulate ice.

I can say from personal experience that this is not correct. If you get ice, the TKS system will remove it, but of course if you know you’re in icing conditions it is much better to run the system in “anti-ice” mode before getting substantial amounts of ice.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I can say from personal experience that this is not correct. If you get ice, the TKS system will remove it, but of course if you know you’re in icing conditions it is much better to run the system in “anti-ice” mode before getting substantial amounts of ice.

You live in a climate where you have been able to use it more than I have, so you have more experience using the system, and I take your word for it. So I guess it works ok as a de-ice system as far as there is not a substantial amount of ice present. The guy I mentioned that got caught out got into sudden severe ice that overwhelmed the system I suppose. Diamond instructs its customers to not use it as a de-ice system, but I guess they would like to be on the safe side of course.

Last Edited by aart at 05 Jan 20:07
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Great video. Thanks for posting. What I liked the most are the references to the (real-time) weather charts and you explaining the decisions you made throughout the icing encounter.

LFPT, LFPN

Diamond instructs its customers to not use it as a de-ice system, but I guess they would like to be on the safe side of course.

This could very well differ between aircraft and installations. My experience is limited to the TB20. The POH makes clear that the system works as a de-ice system, but that of course anti-ice is preferable – also fluid consumption is much lower when used in anti-ice mode.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks. What are data packets? Is that just metars etc? They say you need 4.

Can this be coupled to a G 496 or a G600 or do I have to buy a display as well?

I fly from Hungary mostly to the civilized world west but on occasion to the heart of Darkness in the Balkans. When will they include wx radar for Eastern Europe. Most of those countries are now part of the EU. Except maybe Greece in the near future.

KHTO, LHTL

Thanks. What are data packets? Is that just metars etc? They say you need 4.

ADL110B and ADL120 data volume in billed in data packets. Usage depends on data requested and compression. Just as an example for the flight shown in the video 10 individual downloads have been done consuming a total of only 15 data packets. So the charge for all these downloads together will be 3,75 Euro + VAT.

As Cheshunt says at the end of the video he could have downloaded higher resolution data. That would have brought up the bill a little.

Can this be coupled to a G 496 or a G600 or do I have to buy a display as well?

Unfortunately not for certification reasons. But it will display on the iPad or the iPhone so usually no investment is necessary. What you see in the video on the right side are screensots from the iPad.

When will they include wx radar for Eastern Europe

We try to bring you the best coverage possible. We have Strikes, METAR, TAF, Wind, Temperatures for the Balkans but as you write radar is not there yet for most parts. Usually money is the problem. The data for some countries is very expensive and the number of customers there does not allow paying as much as several thousand Euro per month for the radar data.

This is the current radar coverage:

This is the current strike coverage:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

My experience with TB20 and DA42 is the same – TKS can be used both as de-ice and anti-ice system.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@ Sebastian

Would this weather data be possible to display on the new Garmin Pilot App?
The APP wil have connection to the GTN via the FlightStream 210, but if this device connects over wifi, the 2 inputs could maybe be used simultaneously.

That would be a great option to have on the iPad.

spirit49
LOIH

Unfortunately not for certification reasons

I still think you should explore that area, for those who can make use of it. I would suggest interfacing via the wx or TCAS protocols, some of which may enable custom symbols to be defined.

The certification of the installation would not be your problem

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir, My experience with TKS is that it can be both De-Ice as well as Anti ice.

Here are the pros and cons. If you use Anti ice it has to be charged and ready to go before ice sticks. This way you wont loose performance. Also your liquid lasts longer.

De-ice means you have to remove ice already on the leading edge. A lot of times it has to build enough so that while the fluid is working to loosen the adhesion to the panels
the aerodynamic forces eventually pull the ice off. But the cons are using much more fluid and loss of airspeed while the fluid loosens the ice adhesion and as more ice accumulates.

So its best to use as an anti-ice and only if that is not working due to severe ice build up use de-ice.

The other thing that people who dont know what they are talking about say well if you have a high climb rate you can blast through to ice free zone. True but what goes up must come down. So your on approach to landing you might be vectored around in icing conditions. 5 mins of severe ice let alone 20 mins can raise the pucker factor.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message