Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing for General Aviation Pilots (Video)

It’s IMHO not Garmin you want to talk to. It is the people who make the stuff that generates the data e.g. Avidyne for the TCAS output data stream.

+1

Last Edited by spirit49 at 13 Jan 20:21
spirit49
LOIH

I would buy it too, certified or not, if there was a way to get say a VGA display out of it, because that opens up various routes including NTSC video on my KMD550.

A few years ago I went a long way to getting tafs and metars on the KMD550 – here That project got abandoned only because the guy who was writing the software (running on a cheap little EEE laptop running linux) could not make the Thuraya satphone hang up reliably, and then he moved on to other stuff totally. As you can see, it was working…

Today, you may all laugh at the KMD550 but there are thousands of them flying. But every decent large-screen GPS can display the data using other ways.

It’s IMHO not Garmin you want to talk to. It is the people who make the stuff that generates the data e.g. Avidyne for the TCAS output data stream.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m pretty sure this is possible but so far unfortunately all my contacts to Garmin have been dead ends. I’m also not so sure if they like my products as their GSR56 must be very hard to sell by now… Quote

I have heard this before.
Garmin is very tight on giving out their protocols. Same was the issue when getting the BK KT-74 to work with the GTN on being an ADS-B GPS source.
I believe it must be reversed engineered, which is a pity.

I would buy your box immediately if you could manage to make it display on any of the Garmin units. Certified or not. Its a massive safety upgrade to be able to display weather like they have in the US.

spirit49
LOIH
@ Sebastian
Would this weather data be possible to display on the new Garmin Pilot App?

I’m pretty sure this is possible but so far unfortunately all my contacts to Garmin have been dead ends. I’m also not so sure if they like my products as their GSR56 must be very hard to sell by now…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I guess that depends on the air space. I remember one time flying in the mountains with no radar coverage having to do a full VOR Approach at KDDH. In the clouds at FL 080 down to FL040 procedure turn then down to 1600’ to make circle to land iced up. Same thing but with Radar ILS 24 into KISP. At CCC to pick up the the ILS seemed like eternity in ice filled stratus. Did that with and without TKS.

KHTO, LHTL

So its best to use as an anti-ice and only if that is not working due to severe ice build up use de-ice.

That’s how I use it and prior to flight with possibility of icing I test the system checking all panels. When entering clouds at sub-zero temperatures I turn it on.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So your on approach to landing you might be vectored around in icing conditions. 5 mins of severe ice let alone 20 mins can raise the pucker factor.

True but you can influence how ATC vector you. I’ve done that more than once, told them I need a steep descent below the cloud ceiling due to potential icing. Never any problem.

Emir, My experience with TKS is that it can be both De-Ice as well as Anti ice.

Here are the pros and cons. If you use Anti ice it has to be charged and ready to go before ice sticks. This way you wont loose performance. Also your liquid lasts longer.

De-ice means you have to remove ice already on the leading edge. A lot of times it has to build enough so that while the fluid is working to loosen the adhesion to the panels
the aerodynamic forces eventually pull the ice off. But the cons are using much more fluid and loss of airspeed while the fluid loosens the ice adhesion and as more ice accumulates.

So its best to use as an anti-ice and only if that is not working due to severe ice build up use de-ice.

The other thing that people who dont know what they are talking about say well if you have a high climb rate you can blast through to ice free zone. True but what goes up must come down. So your on approach to landing you might be vectored around in icing conditions. 5 mins of severe ice let alone 20 mins can raise the pucker factor.

KHTO, LHTL

Unfortunately not for certification reasons

I still think you should explore that area, for those who can make use of it. I would suggest interfacing via the wx or TCAS protocols, some of which may enable custom symbols to be defined.

The certification of the installation would not be your problem

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ Sebastian

Would this weather data be possible to display on the new Garmin Pilot App?
The APP wil have connection to the GTN via the FlightStream 210, but if this device connects over wifi, the 2 inputs could maybe be used simultaneously.

That would be a great option to have on the iPad.

spirit49
LOIH
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message