Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing (merged threads)

I strongly suspect that the use of prop TKS prevents the air duct on the TB20 icing up. I say this because I never thought about it at all prior to the 2014 event (I had always used the prop TKS) and even that was put down to water in the fuel. It was the repeat in 2015 which led to the flight test with an instrumented engine compartment which proved it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My question was rather to know if different airframes had different sensibilities to fuel servo / induction icing.
We know about your TB20, probably one case of SR22T, wondered about C210

I regularly turn on alternate air whenever turning TKS on in icing conditions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Do you sometimes fly in IMC between -15 and -25 degrees Celsius ?
Do you have a manual or automatic alternate air ?

1.Yes

2. I have automatic alternate air. However if it activates usually (I was told) there is a MP drop which is noticeable. Now I could be wrong on that but either I never had it or was not aware that it opened cause I did not have a MP drop.

KHTO, LHTL

As I gain more and more experience flying the Extra 400 , I am making observations that make me scratch my head and look for others’ experience.
I took off today in IMC and on the climb to FL 190 hit some icing between FL 80 and 100. It was so little that the boots were useless.
But it remained… and my cruise airspeed was stubbornly 10-15 knots below normal. The boots had a thin layer of ice that had a hairy texture and would not go away.
My 55% economy cruise airspeed at this altitude is 190 knots. I was seeing 175 initially and it gradually climbed back to normal over one hour or so as the ice slowly sublimated away.

Is this kind of performance loss specific to the slippery Extra or do other planes also experience such a massive loss?
Any way to get rid of it? Maybe some super duper boot care product?

This said, I absolutely love the boots: no fluid, no refill business and no corrosion…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I experience similar speed lose in the DA62, another slippery plane! Very light icing can easily knock off 5-10 kts. I’ve never let it build enough to get beyond that point!

EGTR

Get BF Goodrich’s ICEX II. They charge insane amounts for it, like unicorn tears, but it does work and keeps the ice sliding off. You don’t need much, so get the smallest can you can. Just be prepared to be raped.

Yes, it must be the shape of the extra wing. Icex is good. You will only need one can of it for years of use.

EGTK Oxford

Flyingfish wrote:

The boots had a thin layer of ice that had a hairy texture and would not go away.

It’s called rime ice :

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Does ICE-X work on normal metal leading edges?

The main icing thread is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message