Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ICOM non-8.33 radio scrappage scheme

Just seen this. So you can get cash from this plus the CAA rebate if you’re in the UK.

http://www.icomuk.co.uk/Icom-UKs-8.33kHz-Airband-Scrappage-Scheme/Promotions

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

If it’s for a backup handheld, you must get a licence for it before you can get a CAA rebate. The licencing costs over the 27 years I’ve carried my Icom handheld would have far exceeded the rebate – and the future costs for the 8.33 I’ll buy if I pass my medical this week make the CAA rebate useless. It would be different if it was the main radio.
The Icon rebate looks good, if the address you return the old one to is in Europe.
We got the CAA rebate for the fixed radio, not an Icom.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

What licence is required? I didn’t realise that it is any more than the r/t licence required to operate any aeronautical radio.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The aircraft or ground station needs a licence. The operator needs a licence.

You pay the same whether you have 1 VHF or 3 +transponder +dme+…. for the a/c licence.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

You don’t need an extra license for backup handhelds (on G-reg at least). If you have a license for your plane you already have a license for your handheld.

My radio license for my aircraft radio installation also says: The license also authorizes the use of Aeronoautical VHF Hand portable radio equipment operating in the frequency band 118 to 137 MHz and UHF radio equipment operating in the frequency bands 455.475 to 455.850 MHz and 460.775 to 461.255 MHz for use on the above named aircraft

Andreas IOM

Maybe the guy who told me this had no other radio in his plane, and it had no radio licence. I assumed if I applied for the CAA rebate they would ask for a licence, as they did with him. I could give our aircraft radio details. Thanks, I’ll try for the CAA rebate.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Also you can claim multiple times under the same aircraft license number if you buy more radios (the CAA accepts that aircraft might get more radios as time goes on, including handhelds). For a backup handheld you’d just use your aircraft’s radio license.

Last Edited by alioth at 13 Dec 10:24
Andreas IOM
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message