Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ideas for September 2018 fly-in

I don’t think Olbia has avgas.

Other destinations suggested previously were

Elba – should be popular, and is very nice, but on a “mini fly-in” in 2014 only 1 out of 5 aircraft turned up

Venice / San Nicolo – should be popular (despite Venice being widely regarded as a tourist ripoff), planned for Sep 2015 but nobody discovered the film festival was on, so cancelled at the last minute; moved to Portoroz/Piran.

One of the best turnouts we ever had was at Mali Losinj in May 2014. That was 4 years ago and we have a lot of new people here now, as well as some who didn’t make it then, so maybe do it again? The location is outstanding for the whole family, is very accessible from central Europe and actually doable directly for most from the UK who would actually come (those who can’t do the distance have the Cambridge one in May).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Beaches in walking distance is a criterion met by many of the East Frisian Islands, but the weather is unreliable.

Well, those are not the beaches that first come to my mind when I think about beaches I usually think about swimmable sea (warm and clear, nicely colored) which in Europe means Mediterranean Sea and its parts.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just bumping the thread; it serms we lack the ideas What about Elba or somewhere on Corsica (except Calvi that we did three years ago)?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Elba or Corsica would be doable for me.

Corsica except Calvi means :

• LFKO Propiano : the friendliest airfield in Corsica, but non-towered, VFR only and with irregular fuel supply.
  • LFKJ Ajaccio : main town of Corsica, very pleasant for a weekend. H24, ILS, customs, BP fuel. Seems GA friendly but parking is PPR.
  • LFKF Figari : in the middle of nowhere, but serving the charming southern Corsica (rental car mandatory). TWR, ILS, customs but very limited hard parking (even with PPR) during the season.
  • LFKB Bastia : the town’s reputation is not outstanding but the field is OK (pireps are mixed). H24/ILS/customs too.

Clearly, Ajaccio or Elba could be good options.

LFOU, France

Emir wrote:

Well, those are not the beaches that first come to my mind when I think about beaches I usually think about swimmable sea (warm and clear, nicely colored) which in Europe means Mediterranean Sea and its parts.

Ha of course the North Sea is “swimmable” (I think you made this adverb up ) but don’t worry I also think about the Mediterranean whenever the word “beach” comes up.

What about Lake Garda in Italy, does it have a usable airfield nearby? The location us pretty central in Europe and thus still accessible for Northerners, yet the climate is warm

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

What about Lake Garda in Italy, does it have a usable airfield nearby?

Ask Boscomantico

Emir wrote:

Well, those are not the beaches that first come to my mind when I think about beaches

Which is precisely why a fly in there is e necessity. In terms of beaches (!) any of these islands beat the rocky Croatian cost hands down ;-)
Granted, the water often gets not quite as warm early summer. But then again, I have been freezing during some diving week in summer on Krk, too.

Weather is a key factor. I would assume that the Med gives a higher chance of a mild and agreeable weather in September…

EDM_, Germany

Ask Boscomantico

Here you go

There is no airfield right by the lake. Also, the lake is huge, so one would usually choose the airfield based on where you want to go.

The best one would indeed be Verona-Boscomantico . It’s 15 minutes by car from Peschiera, Lazise and Bardolino. They have a long paved runway, they sell avgas and they would most probably arrange an exclusive parking area. Restaurant (for initial refreshments ) on site. IFR flyers can do the ILS at Villafranca and then do the final 5 miles to LIPN.

Beaches are as rocky as in Croatia though

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 May 05:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t want to turn this thread to ad for Croatia and we’ve already had enough fly-ins there but there are few sandy beaches in Croatia and sea temperatures in the summer are well above 22 degrees (up to 25-26 at surface).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

boscomantico wrote:

Verona-Boscomantico
@boscomantico They named the airport after you or vice-versa?

ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message