Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Identifying and updating database on Garmin 495

I have a Garmin 495 which I’ve been using explicitly as backup and for orientation only. For that reason I never updated its database and never relied on it for navigation data (navaids, points, etc.)

The device was bought in the US but has the European terrain and airports. I don’t know if all devices contain this data for the whole world, especially because the updates seem to be split into different regions.

Does anyone know if and how it is possible to identify what the current database of the Garmin 495 is? Is it worth updating it, especially for loading flight plans on it, for pilots flying with SkyDemon or EasyVFR?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The 495 is updated according to the AIRAC cycle so the current database became effective 25 July (if my memory serves me right)

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

indeed every 28 days there is a new navigation DB , obstacleDB every 3 months I think, ,terrain DB ??.
depending on how old your 495, you probably also need to update the main softw. otherwise not al data wil be displayed on the Map-page.

I updated the software to the newest one I found.

Looking at the available databases under https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing I see that there are separate databases for airport, navigation, obstacle, taxi and terrain and then separated to US, Europe, Canada, NA, Atlantic, Pacific. Back to the original question, how can I check what database is currently installed on the device, i.e. is it Europe only, is it worldwide, does it have Safe Taxi, etc.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

When you startup the 496 you have to press “I Agree” on a Screen Once. On top of this screen is a Warning-Text and on the Bottom you can see the installed Databases rolling through.

EDNW, Germany

Thanks simonsorcerer

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

i use a guy in germay that updates the 296 496 etc for about 75 euros incl adding gliderfields, microlight fields and circuit patterns for airfields if u need the contact pls let me know.. u dontneed to send unit away u get the relevant files via email

fly2000

“i use a guy in germay that updates the 296 496 etc for about 75 euros incl adding gliderfields, microlight fields and circuit patterns for airfields if u need the contact pls let me know.. u dontneed to send unit away u get the relevant files via email”

Interesting @Peter_Paul. Seems like a good deal. I also have a 495 that i haven’t used for a very long time. To expensive to update comparing pricing for iPad apps etc. Still very good and robust hardware. Its a shame i never use it, payed a lot of money for it….

Last Edited by Jonas at 07 Aug 08:29
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

The 496 is very good for GPWS. It is one of the very few handhelds to output terrain warnings externally – see here

I haven’t updated mine for a few years… probably should. It forms a good “DCT box” as a last resort nav option.

It isn’t IMHO any good for flying as a “primary” GPS – the map display is nearly useless. Pilot shops used to make good money on these but that business has dropped massively when people moved to Ipads etc and I am not surprised. The 695 is pretty good though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message