Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If there was a "hipster" aircraft, what type would it be?

Hipster

We have just been to the shops and bought a plastic laundry basket with this label

So I wonder what type of aircraft it would be if thus labelled?

I am sure it would be a taildragger

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the given definition be adhered to, an RV-[[7|9]] would come closest for me. “with the times” but not expensive, fashionable but not posh.

Then again, “hipster” seems to also stand for a clothing style cut low or even very low on the hips (example), showing more nudity than some consider acceptable. In that interpretation, the Breezy would be a worthy candidate; and that is not a taildragger.

I do have some difficulty, though, to apply either classification to your laundry basket. Another UK subtlitity, perhaps?

Last Edited by at 08 Apr 14:18
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Their vehicle of choice is a fixie steel frame vintage bike with a narrow flat bar and one brake for the front wheel – fixed gear precluding the need for a rear brake. There is probably some equivalence to a tailwheel and a fixie, although arguably a tail skid is a closer equivalence? Stripped down for ‘authenticity’, that somewhat overused term borrowed from existentialism, but also nimble for urban cycling. Vintage suggests pre 1950’s. The steel frame being recycled from a shed dweller, implies a homebuilt or barn find.

My vote is for a barn find Cassutt Formula 1 racer.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

When I lived in the UK, I remember there was a Cassutt for sale. I seriously considered it for a little while. Not to air race with, but as a traveller – it delivers really good speed on an O-200 engine. But soon realized it would have been one of the least comfortable traveling machines ever…

My vote is for an O-290 powered Pitts S-1 pulled out of a hangar and bought for $10K, made airworthy at minimum cost and more ‘authentic’ by stripping the wheel pants, spinner, canopy etc… thereby despite their intention making it less like the planes most people flew in the 60s and 70s. That’s the ‘hipster’ model from motorcycling…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Apr 15:18

I’d say a Luscombe 8, retro efficient and relatively cheap.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
My vote is a Socata Rallye with terrible paint bought for less than 10K, then restored into serviceable condition for jaunts around the patch and to the neighboring farmer’s field for 100-dollar (EUR in Europe) lattes prepared exclusively with eco beans for which a “fair” price was paid to the indigent farmer in a far away land not yet (or at least not recently) invaded by Marines sent by Neo-Cons who ducked service when they had a chance to fight.
Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 08 Apr 16:05
Tököl LHTL

Silvaire’s definition comes closest so far. Except it would perhaps have to be electric, powered by batteries scavenged from decomissioned Teslas.

My vote is for a mint condition Stinson with bushweels, checkered shirts, and mountain bikes. See the article. See the video.

Last Edited by Canuck at 09 Apr 10:14
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

The Stinson Gullwings would be another good hipsterplane. The Ryan PT22 would fit, too.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message