Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you would buy one jet...

… to start a small business jet charter outfit, which one would it be?

Scenario is a consortium of 2 to 4 owners, comparatively little personal use, operations mainly in continental Europe. One or maximum two fixed employees, RHS filled with freelancers. My guess ist that a CJ2+/3/4 would be best for that scenario?

Is it possible to break even within a, say, 3 year timespan?

Note that I don’t have imminent business plans . I talked about this with somebody who has owned piston twins in the past and found the scenario interesting.

Last Edited by blueline at 18 Feb 14:43
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

It is often said that to make a small fortune in aviation, it is necessary to start with a large one.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

..and, for as little as I understand about it, a jet is a particularly efficient tool for wasting fuel. Didn’t I understand that a well designed turboprop like the Piaggio Avanti or Tu-114 offers everything a jet has to offer, at half the fuel burn? In the next generation, a diesel/avtur burning piston engine will again deliver the same performance but then at a third of the fuel burn.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If I had the money, I’d buy a Cessna Mustang – if it had to be a JET. But actually a PC-12 would be more fun, because the kids could take some friends

It will not happen :-)

@Neil I lived in Panama for some years and they basically said the same thing about living over there. Your comment made me laugh quite a bit :-)

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 18 Feb 19:00
Frequent travels around Europe

Jan, it isn’t quite like that. The Avanti is bigger and about the same speed as a CJ2, but needs just as much runway (or more) and is noisy. The fuel burn is almost identical.

The numbers sold tell the story.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

My guess ist that a CJ2+/3/4 would be best for that scenario?

I agree. The most versatile would be a CJ4, but they are new and quite expensive. A good CJ2+ can be bought for less than 50% but will give you 80% of a CJ4. Alternatively, a Phenom 300 might be an option.

Is it possible to break even within a, say, 3 year timespan?

No. I don’t think anybody ever made a profit from operating bizjets. There are schemes where corporate owners deduct the costs from their taxes and the operator only pays fuel, maintenance and crews, but if one has to recover the full cost from selling flights, there is no chance of success. And with only one aeroplane even less. The only people making money with bizjets are maintenance organisations and charter brokers.

EDDS - Stuttgart
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message