Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFD540 - first major bug, and a possible inability to use EGNOS

here

I expect they will be fixing this one very fast.

The nature of “software” suggests that if you have two of these, you will lose both at exactly the same time.

Also, one pilot, apparently in Europe, has written on a US site that he has never been able to pick up EGNOS – the European version of the US WAAS augementation satellite. If this is a general issue, it is deeply worrying because it shows a really basic lack of testing, and a middle-finger-up to European customers, not to mention Avidyne dealers who are going to have some work to do. It would mean you cannot fly GPS/LPV or GPS/LNAV+V approaches, which renders the product useless for the very reason it would have been installed. That guy also had a loss of GPS while flying an approach and for now is remaining VMC with it.

Does anyone know if the firmware on these can be updated with a laptop, and without having to go to an Avidyne dealer?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also, one pilot, apparently in Europe, has written on a US site that he has never been able to pick up EGNOS – the European version of the US WAAS augementation satellite. If this is a general issue, it is deeply worrying because it shows a really basic lack of testing, and a middle-finger-up to European customers, not to mention Avidyne dealers who are going to have some work to do.

I’m usually reluctant to make unsubstantiated claims, so I’ve held off saying this before: an Avidyne dealer told me exactly this – the IFD cannot (both from a practical and certification perspective) fly LPV in Europe. I think this product is stillborn in Europe.

The GTN has now had its bugs (mostly) shaken out. It may not be perfect, but it does the job. If you want to keep the separate MFD, I suggest installing a 650. Otherwise, just get a 750. Happy to show you around the integration with the fuel totaliser etc some time.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 13 Nov 12:21
EGEO

Well, a claim won’t be substantiated until an Avidyne dealer pops up on EuroGA and under his full name posts the info – which will never happen.

Until then, it is right to post information such as this – with the caveat that it needs to be verified – because it might save some poor sod blowing away 20k-25k on a box which – given the whole context of such an installation – is frankly useless for the intended purpose. Let’s face it – you aren’t going to install an IFD540 just so you can play with the superior user interface…

I wonder if the few European based IFD540 owners were told by the dealer about this “little shortcoming” in advance? Common sense tells you that the manufacturer could go bust before they get the firmware out, so either these customers have an awesome appetite for risk, or it doesn’t sound like they were told!

Administrator

I wonder if the few European based IFD540 owners were told by the dealer about this “little shortcoming” in advance

This dealer did say he has told people about this. He also (at that time) hadn’t done a single installation, and didn’t have any queued up. Doesn’t mean that others are just as honest…

EGEO

Firmware update is a maintenance task that can be carried using a datacard.

That the IFD540 Wouldn’t do EGNOS but would do WAAS would be unlikely, as WAAS and EGNOS have been designed to be fully compatible with each other.

It would be interesting to know if a WAAS antenna was used in this installation, and the unit was configured for WAAS.

The IFD540 is certified for SBAS (WAAS, EGNOS and MSAS) if used with a certified WAAS antenna, correct coaxcable and correct configuration

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The first software update should be out this week fixing the major issues. (10.0.2)

Egnos will be fixed in the successor 10.0.3. It does seem rather sloppy that they did not test in Europe. This may have to do with EASA?
They seem to be responding very fast.

Currently mine are being installed and I am very positive.

All the feedback from people flying them is that they truly love them!

Last Edited by Commander at 13 Nov 23:01

Who cares about software problems once they are fixed? Too much excitement here… Garmin have shipped loads of broken WAAS antennae at some point which gave you GPS reception errors (dead reckoning) every now and then. They had to be replaced. I was affected, it cost me a flight to the dealer and hours of waiting. Garmin didn’t even say sorry nor admit that it was a major problem with many units affected. Why do you hit on Avidyne?

Last Edited by achimha at 14 Nov 07:57

Not ideal but hardly the end of the world. People knew they were buying a brand new product. Makes a bit of a mockery of EASA review of avionics – the only meaninful product difference between the US and Europe and they missed it.

There will be a software fix and people will forget about it.

EGTK Oxford

I think you two would have a different view if you just had that product installed

But – as is customary in this business – you would prob99 not be posting your views openly, because you will need the co-operation of your installer – an Avidyne dealer – to install the fix when it becomes available

Anybody washing their dirty laundry openly gets their throat cut and is out on their own (yeah, been there, done that, on the KFC225).

Administrator

Peter,

Your reaction is very cynical and as far as I am concerned totally unwarranted. I hold your technical opinion very high but fail to see why you would be bashing developments in this manner.

I could not care less what my installer thinks. As long as the problems are solved in a swift and proactive way.

Yes there bugs, even more than I expected, allthough they have been test flying comprehensively. I am also seeing very quick responses from Avidyne which I like.
The IFD540 is a great device and will become better and better. The interface is way nicer than any Garmin I have ever seen.

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message