Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR-airports for beginners

I hopefully finish my CBIR-training soon. Then the real life begins…

I`m planning to do some trips during the springs, just to keep up the IFR. But I really like to get some good tips about ”easy” airports to start with. And with easy I mean GA-friendly IFR-airports with reasonably priced landing and handling fees.

My homebase is in southern Sweden, so Germany, Benelux and Northern France will be ok for shorter trips.

Johan M
ESTT, ESMS

For Northern Germany I can recommend EDHL, EDVE, EDDV, EDOP, EDXW, EDLP, EDDP and EDVK.

Those are GA-friendly airports in my oppinion, with relatively low fees and no slot requirement. Of course at EDDV, EDDP and EDLP you have to go through security, but this is no factor in my oppinion.

I also recommend EDDH, it is nice towards GA too, the handling for an international airport is still reasonable, but it requires a slot. But the experience to fly in tight formation with the airliners is nice. Just be aware, that they ask you for a high speed approach and early turn-off, so know your limits and only accept what you can handle!

If you tell me some more necessities for an airport you want to fly too, I can also narrow the list. So if you want public transport, nice city close by, etc.

And good luck towards your CB-IR, I took the same route and I am more than happy I did it. Are you already in the ATO part?

Last Edited by TobiBS at 04 Mar 09:40
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Eelde EHGG is the IFR training airport in the Netherlands. Landing fees are around € 25,- depending on type and no handling is required.
The airport also has a nice restaurant.

If you look for a simple IFR field in northern France, your choices are :

• Valenciennes LFAV is one of them.
    BP fuel, on site restaurant with good reviews, easier on weekdays with AFIS and airport staff.
  • Calais LFAC is similar, with an AFIS on saturdays
  • Merville LFQT is controlled and has many IAPs. It is a well known CPL-IR training base.

Sorry, I have no experience there. @Niner_Mike may know more.

LFOU, France

TobiBS wrote:

For Northern Germany I can recommend EDHL, EDVE, EDDV, EDOP, EDXW, EDLP, EDDP and EDVK.
Those are GA-friendly airports in my oppinion, with relatively low fees and no slot requirement. Of course at EDDV, EDDP and EDLP you have to go through security, but this is no factor in my oppinion.
I also recommend EDDH, it is nice towards GA too, the handling for an international airport is still reasonable, but it requires a slot. But the experience to fly in tight formation with the airliners is nice. Just be aware, that they ask you for a high speed approach and early turn-off, so know your limits and only accept what you can handle!
If you tell me some more necessities for an airport you want to fly too, I can also narrow the list. So if you want public transport, nice city close by, etc.
And good luck towards your CB-IR, I took the same route and I am more than happy I did it. Are you already in the ATO part?

Thanks! I will look through those airports.
I actaully been to EDDV during the CBIR-training. We have one part that is a “long” navigation in Europe. My navigation was just one day, but we went to EDDV, EHGG and EKBI. I just had a 20 minutes stop at EDDV, but the GA terminal was nice.
I’ve alson been to EDHL, but VFR. I like when it’s easy to go into the town, for a lunch or even a stay.

Johan M
ESTT, ESMS

I don’t know if you have already been there, but all the Danish airports apart from EKCH is GA-friendly, easy and fair priced.
Billund, Århus, Karup, Vamdrup, Ålborg, Sindal, Stauning, Sønderborg, Esbjerg, Odense, Roskilde and now Maribo.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message