Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR alternates in France, Bordeaux-Biarritz region.

Having acquired my IR recently I’m contemplating a trip to Portugal (from the Luxembourg area) and possibly later to Spain (Seville region), although I haven’t decided on the date yet.
With our newly purchased Commander 114b I’m obliged to make a refueling stop about half way which would be in the french “Landes” somewhat South of Bordeaux e.g. Biscarosse or Biarritz.
Now, I know that statisticaly the area around the Baye of Biscaya tends to be fogged in or at least misty quite regularly.
My question pertains therefore to the alternates in case the approach would not be possible even under IFR.
Are there any aerodromes in that region that would be recommendable (i.e. less likely to be below minimums) that could be planned as 1st and 2nd alternates, without having to go too far out of the way ?
By the way I did read former threads about trips and airports in that area but I did not find a reply to my question.
Any advice is welcome.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Hi – you could try Pau LFBP which has ILS and RNAV (LPV) approaches. I fly there quite often and have never (yet!) had to divert. Send a contingency email in advance to Ops and you will find them very helpful. If you want to stop for refreshments, park on Golf apron near the GA terminal. Otherwise taxi straight to the self-serve avgas (BP card) beside the Aeroclub du Bearn.

A further possibility is Tarbes LFBT.

Last Edited by NeilC at 28 Feb 05:35
NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Thanks very much NeilC for that precise information. Very useful indeed.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Just in spitting distance is San Sebastian. Very straight forward as well. I stopped there on my way to Cascais from Zurich 2 years ago.

Where is Portugal are you headed? If you plan to go to Cascais beware of the handling lady that will stand in front of your aircraft when you park there. She played down everything when I told her I didn’t want/need handling so I fell into the trap. When it was time to pay the fees I got enervated and refused to pay and called the airport manager. I payed all my fee with them and nothing to this handling agent. Call the airport before and make sure you talk to the airport operations directly and forget the handler.

Placido

LSZH

Placido is right with Cascais, I used to fly in there a lot, when you land and as you open the aircraft door, just tell the handling agent that you don’t want handling, this usually gets rid of them, they serve no useful purpose, and as Placido says airport operations are quite capable of giving you everything that you need.

You should avoid Biarritz on the way down at all costs, that’s unless you enjoy the hassle of having your self, your aircraft and all of the documents associated with both completely turned over.

I have been told that Pamplona is a good stop but have no experience of this, any info on this anyone?

Yes, Pamplona is good in my experience, as is Valladolid. However, for a fuel stop and range permitting, I would prefer a French airport (except Biarritz). Fuel is much cheaper.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I assume with your Germany/Luxembourg homebase that customs is not required?

Biscarrosse LFBS is IFR and has Total Avgas, but no customs, so suitable for trips to/from Germany and/or Spain and/or Portugal but not direct from the UK. It is on the coast about halfway between Bordeaux and Biarritz. Weather is generally good, with primary risk being temporary fog from the ocean.

The town has a very nice commercial seaplane museum (claiming that the first commercial transatlantic flight was from the US to Biscarrosse via seaplane).

Being inland, Pau is likely a more stable choice, weatherwise.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thank you folks for sharing your useful information with me.
- My final destination is indeed Cascais but since we are spending quite some time there over the year I became member of the local aeroclub and I have a security card for the airport so they know me; makes things easier. Otherwise people there are very helpful with regards to ATC or flight planning etc.
- Biscarosse… I know it from my childhood (but not from flying) as a summer destination. It’s full of aviation history indeed. I think I might prefer it to Biarritz. And no, I don’t need customs nor passport check or anything of the sort, thanks to Schengen (one thing the EU did right IMHO especially for us private flyers).
So, I think it will be Biarritz with San Sebastian as 1st and Pau as 2nd alternate.

Last Edited by gildnn at 05 Mar 17:45
EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message