Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR and Tablet Devices

Orientation and picking good waypoints when asking for shortcuts

Would you ask for a waypoint which is not on your filed route?

If so, how do you know it is within the privileges of the ATCO to give it to you?

If you ask for a shortcut to a WP which is on your filed route, at least there is some chance he is authorised to send you there.

also on the tablet but with lower resolution.

Which product?

I plan to change my Lenovo win8 tablet for the Samsung 8" S, mostly to get much faster PDF browsing, so anything for Android is of interest.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would you ask for a waypoint which is not on your filed route?

Of course, why not?

If so, how do you know it is within the privileges of the ATCO to give it to you?

He/she can always ask someone else. Especially in Belgium one has to be a bit creative. ATC there seem to get a bonus for every airplane they send via the Brussels VOR (maximum noise + pollution for the capital) and they are very reluctant to provide better routings but usually after a bit of nagging, something better can be achieved.

Like in your last example to Dortmund where you were sent via Holland, I would use the tablet to get a good overview and then start suggesting waypoints.

JeppFD got a terrain map on Android and I believe Garmin Pilot, too.

I plan to change my Lenovo win8 tablet for the Samsung 8" S, mostly to get much faster PDF browsing

I am sure there must be a fast option on Windows, given that your Windows tablet has a lot more computing power than an Android tablet.

I believe Garmin Pilot, too.

Yep.

Last Edited by JasonC at 23 Feb 21:39
EGTK Oxford
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message