Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR and Tablet Devices

I believe Garmin Pilot, too.

Yep.

Last Edited by JasonC at 23 Feb 21:39
EGTK Oxford

Would you ask for a waypoint which is not on your filed route?

Of course, why not?

If so, how do you know it is within the privileges of the ATCO to give it to you?

He/she can always ask someone else. Especially in Belgium one has to be a bit creative. ATC there seem to get a bonus for every airplane they send via the Brussels VOR (maximum noise + pollution for the capital) and they are very reluctant to provide better routings but usually after a bit of nagging, something better can be achieved.

Like in your last example to Dortmund where you were sent via Holland, I would use the tablet to get a good overview and then start suggesting waypoints.

JeppFD got a terrain map on Android and I believe Garmin Pilot, too.

I plan to change my Lenovo win8 tablet for the Samsung 8" S, mostly to get much faster PDF browsing

I am sure there must be a fast option on Windows, given that your Windows tablet has a lot more computing power than an Android tablet.

Orientation and picking good waypoints when asking for shortcuts

Would you ask for a waypoint which is not on your filed route?

If so, how do you know it is within the privileges of the ATCO to give it to you?

If you ask for a shortcut to a WP which is on your filed route, at least there is some chance he is authorised to send you there.

also on the tablet but with lower resolution.

Which product?

I plan to change my Lenovo win8 tablet for the Samsung 8" S, mostly to get much faster PDF browsing, so anything for Android is of interest.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I still don’t know what use is a tablet under IFR for navigation related tasks…

Orientation and picking good waypoints when asking for shortcuts. I do all map stuff on the tablet, the builtin GPS just feeds the autopilot.

The next best thing which is nice on a tablet is a proper shaded topo map. I have this running under Oziexplorer, for the Alps and the Pyrenees.

I have this information as part of Aspen’s synthetic vision and also on the tablet but with lower resolution.

As dublinpilot says, this can’t possibly work usefully using forecast winds, except on a relatively calm day.

For example I have seen actual winds of 70kt against 30kt forecast – at say FL150. In some weather patterns, a small lateral movement of the track will pick up a very different wind speed. For example, here, a 50nm E-W movement near Nice would give you a ~50kt wind difference

The next best thing which is nice on a tablet is a proper shaded topo map. I have this running under Oziexplorer, for the Alps and the Pyrenees. It is for overflying mountains above an overcast The data was generated using Mobile Atlas Creator, which ripped it off Google Terrain. I have about 5GB of this stuff… But it runs only under Windows or Android

I still don’t know what use is a tablet under IFR for navigation related tasks…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
I’m remember being quite happy at one particular point last year to know that we’d more than 1000ft terrain clearance in all direction.

SD obviously think this is a good feature too, as they copied it last year. ;)

You both copied it from Garmin!

EGTK Oxford

There are so many potential complications to that.

For example, imagine the range in mountainous terrain. You might be able to glide many miles and reach terrain that’s at 500ft AMSL, but a direct path might take you through a mountain. But you can go around it. That is something that is incredibly difficult to display.

Of course forecast winds (probably forecast 6 hours or more ago) will also be a lot different to reality.

These inaccuracies are one reason that we don’t bother with that in EasyVFR. Computational time, and clutter being the other two important ones. Instead we do dynamic terrain shading, which colours the terrain based on your altitude. Normal map colours then you’ve more than 1000ft terrain clearance. Yellow, you’ve more than 500ft terrain clearance (but less than 1000ft), and red you’ve less than 500ft clearance, with various shades along the way.

I’m remember being quite happy at one particular point last year to know that we’d more than 1000ft terrain clearance in all direction.

SD obviously think this is a good feature too, as they copied it last year. ;)

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Does it consider changing winds through the descent?

No idea – will email them and ask.

EGEO

Does it consider changing winds through the descent? For example from 280 the glide range ring is pretty complex to calculate.

EGTK Oxford

Does it also take terrain into account?

Yes

EGEO
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message