Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR clearance question (and traffic avoidance, IFR OCAS, etc)

This is getting off on a tangent but actually flying IMC in UK Class G is very safe because there is almost nobody else in it.

The reality of GA is that nearly all of it flies only on very nice days. So the stats are stacked in your favour on less than good days or flying above say 3000ft.

The exceptions are certain scenarios where pilots flying “illegal VFR” are likely to concentrate and the best one I can recall was arriving at the Sywell aero show with a 1000ft cloudbase, and with me at 900ft I saw, on the TCAS, a string of other planes at 1100ft, 1200ft, 1300ft, etc, all heading for the same runway and all descending in IMC, probably using Skydemon on their Ipads Plus all the others who were flying with no transponder or transponder intentionally turned off. I was able to get out of the way before someone descended on top of me.

I am sure we have had many threads on IFR in Class G and the ban on it in some countries in Europe, which I believe SERA now overturns so those countries will eventually have to come in line. It’s quite interesting because – obviously – no clearance can be issued and thus none can be required. In the US this is also legal but IIRC people have been busted for doing it without an IFR flight plan having been filed.

BTW, the phrase “cleared to EKAH FL90” is a ritual in IFR. It is spoken by the tower of departure when reading out your IFR departure clearance. They don’t actually have any idea whether you will be able to complete the flight as filed. It is especially funny when the destination is in Class G and the last 50nm is flown OCAS and once OCAS you cannot re-enter CAS (in most countries) without a fresh clearance

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

IFR in Class G and the ban on it in some countries in Europe

They are trying it in Switzerland now, as I mentioned, for approaches and starts from LSZG outside of working hours (before 8am and after 6pm or something similar). I asked how they ensure separation and the answer was: you get the clearance/hand off from Bern Approach to start your approach only after the previous aircraft has landed and closed its flight plan, i.e. only one airplane on approach. Additionally, if you want to take off, you have to contact Skyguide, they will give you a departure slot and you have to take off at that time, at which they will not let anyone else take off or make an approach. I.e. the whole airspace (IMC) is blocked for a single aircraft at a time. Pretty inefficient but sounds safer.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Even thinking about it is outside my comfort zone, not sure I want to try it.

How data-based is your risk analysis? As no-one has ever collided in IMC OCAS, are you not somewhat reassured? There are so many other, more appropriate, things to worry about.

The German anxiety about flying IMC OCAS is surprisingly illogical.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

In the US this is also legal but IIRC people have been busted for doing it without an IFR flight plan having been filed.

How do you land at a Class G airport at minimums when Class E stops at 700’ ?

Answe: It’s not illegal to fly IFR in Class G in the US….it is only illegal to fly IFR without filing IFR…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 08 Jul 16:29
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Other than in Germany, where ATC refuses to provide clearances in class E below the minimum radar vectoring altitude, ATC in the us provides procedural separation similar to how the Swiss plan to do it, except they do it for class E – only one aircraft per procedure / sector.

Biggin Hill

achimha wrote:

You pray or if you’re not religious you rely on the “big sky theory”.

Or you use FIS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

once OCAS you cannot re-enter CAS (in most countries) without a fresh clearance

Do you have a reference for this? AFAIK the UK is unique in this respect, at least in Europe.

Vladimir wrote:

Even thinking about it is outside my comfort zone, not sure I want to try it.

Then you better not fly with the airlines to a lot of airports in Scandinavia.

Peter wrote:

In the US this is also legal but IIRC people have been busted for doing it without an IFR flight plan having been filed.

Class G around an IFR airport only extends up to 700 feet and 700 feet is not a valid minimum IFR cruising altitude. There used to be areas of the country, mostly in the west, that had G going up to 18000 MSL and it was legal and possible under the right circumstances to conduct IFR operations in this area, but since they are for all purposes gone, it is moot. The requirement for a clearance is to enter controlled airspace and departing from an airport in class G, the clearance will include something like this “on entering controlled airspace turn to heading …” or other ATC instruction.

KUZA, United States

My recollection is that the violation was not for flying in IMC in class G below 700 ft, but rather for busting VFR minima in the Class E above 700 ft.

Sign in to add your message