Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Departure at a German AFIS airfield (Donaueschingen EDTD)

Agreed, however that is a theoretical issue as there is normally no concept of out of hours in Germany. But even if you can contact the approach or enroute radar controller, Germany does not clear you IFR below the MVA which is 500ft above the base on controlled airspace (discussed in other posts) unless on a published IFR procedure.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

…and since there is no TWR/Radar, the separation from other IFR traffic is by spacing in time, e.g. an expiring departure clearance, correct?

On the procedure yes, but I hope after issuing your clearance, the controller will also keep the area around the procedure clear of IFR until he positively identified you.

Makes me wonder if and when I should use synthetic vision as a “double check”. Aircraft has it, but my CFII was of the opinion that it is just a distraction, and basically would only be useful for emergencies. Number one priority is of course monitoring that the FD/AP flies the SID according to the specs.

From my perspective using equipment only in emergencies is fine, if you train for these emergencies on a regular basis. Because if you just wait for a day when you need it, then it will be of no practical use, but a distraction in the emergency. I just recently started to fly an aircraft with synthetic vision and infrared and I used it on all my flights so far (daylight VMC) to get a feeling how to interpret the information. I of course agree with the concept of information overload, but technology that is never used typically doesn’t help in an emergency, I think.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

TobiBS wrote:

The only thing I don’t know about is, whether AFIS needs a release from the controller and could therefore ask you to delay your departure, anybody ever experienced that?

I did my first departure from a German AFIS airport last week. (From Eggenfelden EDME.) I got the clearance relayed before starting to taxi. When entering the runway, the AFISO told me to “wait for release” and a short while later he told me I was released. He also made a general call on the info frequency: “Warning: IFR departure in progress.” :-)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“Warning, Airborne_Again is departing” ;)

Sounds like it is pretty straight forward.

Switzerland

I had a similar experience to @Airborne_Again departing Schwabisch Hall EDTY after the SOP conference in February. It has an AFIS in class G airspace. I was headed to Switzerland and autorouter gave me and I filed the TAGIK 1Z SID (east wind, so departure on R10) heading off to the left/north and then west toward the Rhine and south over the Black Forest before coming back south east via TRA and ZUE north of Zurich… somewhat like a fish-hook routing.

On contact with AFIS, they gave me my IFR clearance, which was essentially “as filed” although they did read me the SID name. They told me to call when ready for departure for my “release”. Clearly they coordinated with ATC because when they released me they said to contact Langen Radar after departure (don’t recall if they indicated an altitude to do that). On contact with Langen Radar, I was told to continue on runway heading to 5’000 and then turn to HDG 200 (i.e. right turn south)…. so much for the SID and the autorouter routing !!! After 10 minutes on HDG 200 they cleared me dct VIBAX which was my IFR/VFR changeover about 10 miles from home, an hour away.

Lesson 1: File what is acceptable to Eurocontrol and then be ready for what you really get, and it might be after takeoff.
Lesson 2: Any airfield with a SID can be filed IFR from the start. No need for a Z FPL. It seems that in Germany AFIS are able to relay the initial IFR clearance and then coordinate release to departure with the overlaying ATC unit. Expect a freq to contact after departure.

Thread creep: Austria has some interesting RNAV SIDs that are visual to a point in space near the airfield (geo + altitude) at which point IFR starts. E.g. LOAN. I haven’t flown this, but would expect to file it as an I FPL even though the first leg is VFR and then IFR in class G airspace. On this departure, IFR starts at 1’400 but there is no radar service until 3’000.

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 Jun 22:29
LSZK, Switzerland

@chflyer: I would always file I if allowed by Eurocontrol and this should be the case for all fields that have procedures. E.g. at my former home field EDVE they had D(CTR) deactivated on the weekends and then they cleared you for the SID with IFR starting after passing 2000ft.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message