Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Departure

Does anyone know if there is a fee for IFR departures out of German Airports for planes less than 2000Kg?

I know there is a charge for IFR approaches. I believe I was charged for an IFR departure out of EDMS last visit.

Thanks in advance.

KHTO, LHTL

You’re right! EDMS does indeed charge for IFR approach and departure separately.

I went there last Friday:
IFR in, stayed 3 hrs (not on their apron) and left VFR (knowing the fee…): 43€!! For an airport if that size, it’s a ripoff!

EDMA, Germany

The EDMS fee is an airport fee, levied to pay for the IAP costs while not putting the burden on the (predominant) VFR community. Makes sense to me. EDMS is not a cheap airport.

The bigger airports have this DFS departure fee invoiced separately.

OK here is what I was told by the fee collectors.
When I left LHTL it was overcast which I went through to get on top FL 090. It was that way all the way to Linz. Where the OVC cleared to SCT and eventually CAVU conditions. So I cancelled about 30NM out way before EDMS and just past the German/Austrian border.

I got an IFR charge not because I did an IFR procedure/Approach but because I had filed IFR to EDMS as a destination. So according to them When I file IFR they are notified that an IFR is heading there way. I suppose when I activate my flight plan while still in Hungary.

I told him that “that is complete Bullsh*t” nobdody does that not even Augsburg. His defense was that they are charged the fee and I should pay it. “Yes but I cancelled IFR 30NM out nowhere near the pattern”. “Does not matter we still get charged, he said and you have to pay the Fee.”

I think its complete BS. Never mind that as a maintenance facility I come here to give their lease holders business but I get charged for each Landing working on the plane. No discounts for maintenance check flights.

Frustrating as hell. Any thoughts on this rip off?

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 12 Oct 14:56
KHTO, LHTL

Unless I’m missing something, the IFR fee is 4,20 € according to the Gebührenordnung. That shouldn’t make a huge difference.

The wording is very strange: “Für An- und Abflüge nach Instrumentenflugregeln („I“ oder „Y“-Flugplan) wird ein Aufwandsentgelt von € 4,20 je Vorgang berechnet.”

That means on a Z flightplan, you don’t pay the fee, and what is indeed weird is the reference to your flight plan, when the fee is about the approach. If you contested that fee in front of a Verwaltungsgericht (administrative court), you’d probably win because it is not well defined, but for 4,20 € it’s probably not worth the hassle.

Hey, Gene! Actually i was standing next to you when the guy explained it, and i think you got it wrong. They said that if you cancel early enough, like over Austria, then you will not be charged and that they only charge you in cases Munich Radar calls them and announces you. If i rememember correctly he said that they are charged by Munich and that’s why.
Makes sense?

And they also said that departing on a Z flightplan is free!

Hi Alexis, After you left another guy came out very agitated and told me that as long as they receive information that an IFR is inbound they will get billed for that flight so they have to pass along the cost.

Now understand, its not the 5 Euro but I come here at least 4x a year sometimes more. To think Im being ripped off is what gets me. I file in Hungary and activate then they get a notice that an IFR flight plan to their airport has been filed and opened and I have to pay. What about a diversion? They still get notifed but I never landed who pays then? I think they should change their computer system because that is what he was hinting at was causing the billing.

He was also complaining of people filing and cancelling last minute doing the approach and landing. “I know what you pilots do”. Yeah I told him a 30 NM straight in does not sound like an IFR approach to me and that is what I did.

Needles to say neither one of us left happy.

KHTO, LHTL

By the way Alexis thanks again for the ride. I have to stay overnight (More money into the local economy) because even though Piloten Service got the part and fixed it, Avionic Straubing needed 2 additional test flights to calibrate the autopilot. Being Europe my field closes exactly at SS. Which would have made the flight impossible, to reach my destination before it closed.

So while they do not serve (Fauss) Augustiner at Wahlmuller Airport Restaurant they still serve one of the best biers in the world because it is brewed with German love and affection. After a couple of Mass I might forget the 2nd guy at the counter if not forgive.

KHTO, LHTL

Flyer59 12-Oct-15 15:14 #07
And they also said that departing on a Z flightplan is free!

Yes that is true.

KHTO, LHTL
149 Posts
Sign in to add your message