Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR flight very short distance (Beauvais LFOB -> Toussus LFPN)

I’m flying from London to Paris next week. Usually I go to Toussus LFPN via Rouen LFOP (to clear immigration), but I was thinking what I should expect as a routing if I were to use Beauvais for immigration instead. Let’s assume I have to do it IFR.
Any idea of what routing I’d expect to LFOB→LFPN? One of the reasons I was thinking of doing it that way is to avoid the long southerly dogleg when flying from Rouen.

maybe @Guillaume will know, or gently tell me to not even try it and stick to my usual route.

Last Edited by Noe at 02 Oct 14:55

LFOB-LFPN is part of the POGO routes. Check the LFOB SIDs, you will find the one you look for.

LFOB is known in France to not accept transient GA due to lack of space. Did you find an arrangement with the manager or the aeroclub ?

LFOU, France

I’ve used them before and didn’t have issues, but that’s good to know, I’ll pay a bit more attention.
How does that “not acceptance go”? Would they reject my IFR flightplan?

An issue I’m aware of in this is that Rouen is very … fast for immigration stop, while Beauvais can be quite the opposite (I’d check with scheduled flights).
Might stick to usual route, but thought it would be useful (/ was curious) to know how such short flights go.

If you route and file via autorouter, the POGO business will be handled for you.

What happens behind the scenes is that RMK/POGO gets added and a non validating plan filed. The manual operator at Eurocontrol will let it pass within 15 min or so.

For the curious, the procedures:

Thanks Achim. Good to know about the possible delay in validation.

@Noe, there is slightly more to it than just the SID. You should read the AIP entry for LFOB:

Users of POGO routes connecting BEAUVAIS to TOUSSUS and VILLACOUBLAY must plan their arrival on the following period (local time) :
before 0730, between 1230 and 1630 and after 2000

You may try outside of those hours, but in that case I would recommend you call Toussus TWR prior.

Otherwise Rouen is really MUCH nicer, and cheap. On the downside there is a 24 hrs PNR.

Noe wrote:

One of the reasons I was thinking of doing it that way is to avoid the long southerly dogleg when flying from Rouen.

You should normally not get any dogleg between Rouen and Toussus. Once you are approximately WNW of Toussus you should either be vectored to final R07L, or get DCT TSU, then (from memory) fly outbound R072 TSU to approximately 11 NM, then a right turn to intercept the final approach course to R25R.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Oct 15:51
LFPT, LFPN

Thanks. I’ll have a better look this evening at all the stuff. The >20:00 definitely kills it, as I"m planning to arrive at toussus around 18:30 UTC (already got the out of hours approved if needs be, so can afford long delays – at the cost of dinner!)

I agree on Rouen being fast / friendly (although they keep telling me filling the PN via flightplan is not good enough – although the AIP says so). That’s why I use it by default. The VFR navigation to / from Toussus can be a bit tricky though, and I get frustrated with the long wait for them to turn me off the wrong part of the dogleg (even though I gently remind).

Beauvais is cheap, I think last time it cost ~13 euros.

Last Edited by Noe at 02 Oct 15:54

Noe wrote:

I’ll have a better look this evening at all the stuff. The >20:00 definitely kills it, as I"m planning to arrive at toussus around 18:30 UTC (already got the out of hours approved if needs be, so can afford long delays – at the cost of dinner!)

So that will work beautifully for you. Note that the times indicated are local and Paris is still UTC+2. Keep in mind that outside ATC hours the approach minima are circling.

Noe wrote:

The VFR navigation to / from Toussus can be a bit tricky though

?? The tricky part is really that strictly speaking, unless you are based at one of the nearby airports you are not really allowed to penetrate the glider areas when active. But other than that it is really simple. Note that there is a new FIS that was established west of Toussus – Chérence Info, but with restricted hours of operation. The information is in AIP SUP.

LFPT, LFPN

Last time I flew this (outbound) and got told off that I turned too early (I did talk to chavenay)

IFR, especially at night, is just easier. Also avoids confusion with villacoublay

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message