Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Slalom (TBM in heavy weather)

This video popped up on a local site. It’s about flying IFR between thunderstorms in a TBM 850. Normally no interest to me, but the way he uses on board radar, ATC etc. Really good piloting skills and airmanship IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Nicely edited, what was Plan B?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Great video, but I had the same thought. He was originally given R09L. He had setup that approach and was going to fly it. That would have put him in exactly the same position where he didn’t want to fly the the missed approach for R27R.

Very relevant video for the Cirrus Jet thread because it’s typical of SP IFR operations. The workload is very high when faced with less than perfect conditions.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

Great video, but I had the same thought. He was originally given R09L. He had setup that approach and was going to fly it.

He asked ATC about that farther out, which approach the other aircraft actually got. He didn’t seem to get a good answer at that point.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Slightly OT: The production value on some of these Youtube channels are great. I have been following Steve for a while, and he has some great videos, some stunning flying in the Bahamas with a Caravan as well. Also check out flightchops and captmoonbeam for good videos.
Be aware, Youtube is a time-killer when you start digging.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

LeSving wrote:

Really good piloting skills and airmanship IMO

On this great plane you do not even need checklists either approach briefing or call outs, very cool. It`s the toy for intentionally flying convective weather just for pleasure.
To take it seriously: it` s a real plane I could not afford as a poor man. I need to rely on the weather reports, TAFs and storm scope.

Berlin, Germany

Thanks for posting that, LeSving.

My observations on the video:

• Good editing
  • Is there some checklist in the panel? He doesn’t seem to use checklists at all
  • I can’t understand much of what he is saying but that just reminded me of doing the IR in Arizona So I used the subtitle option (auto-generated and some funny mistakes there; the software seems to use a dictionary for p0rn movies)…
  • He loves a bit of drama
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

He loves a bit of drama

Yes. The one thing I did not like was the statement “We lived to see another day”. I mean, if he feels what he does is so dangerous, maybe he should reconsider.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 08 Jan 10:04
LFPT, LFPN

@highflyer,

Please dom’t start another thread nit-picking somebody’s flying – the DA42 flight into Frankfurt thread was unedifying, to say the least.

He edited out the boring bits, he mentioned the approach briefing done, you can see him pulling out the iPad to brief the other approach after he was given it, he just removed the actual briefing.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 08 Jan 10:25
Biggin Hill

Agree. SteveO certainly seems to be of the most proficient GA pilots out there.

And why this insistence on a piece of paper checklist and loud “callouts” in SP operations? There is also so element of personal perferences after all.

I have never seem any piece of paper checklists in any of his videos, so I don’t think he uses any. But not sure.

I agree though that in this video, in contrast to his others, he created some (articifical?) drama for some reason, maybe a tad too much.

What I though was this: the direction he was coming from the weather was OKish. So why didn’t he cancel IFR when he was on final? That would have allowed him, in case he had to go around for some reason, to ummediately turn visually back that way and avoid to be forced to fly (via the missed approach procedure) into the very bad weather that was at the far end of the runway? Or did he maybe intend to do that anyway in the case of a go-around, on an emergency call?
I guess is he didn’t want to end up in IMC under VFR on short final, and therefore stayed IFR.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 11:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message