Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

These AHRS devices look pretty good and almost a no brainer for someone who flies a lot of IFR stuff. Could be a life saver (or certainly could save a buttock clenching moment) and for the price ($1300) is a bargain in avionics terms.

iLevil 2

However, the only thing missing is incorporated FLARM. I think if these included a FLARM receiver and transmitter, then I would swap my old Levil AHRS box for one of these. They seem to include a serial port so, for example, a ZAON could be plugged into it and the data also shown on the iPad (I wonder if Skydemon can display the traffic data from one of these?)….

Pity this version (pitot+static) can’t be connected to the PS system of a certified aeroplane.

EGHS

AlanB wrote:

Pity this version (pitot+static) can’t be connected to the PS system of a certified aeroplane.

With a T-fitting it can… and it will be. With these things just ask yourself two questions:

1. What is the risk/danger? Does it improve or threaten safety?
  2. Can it be undone when somebody objects?

I kind of like Immanuel Kant’s take on this subject

Yes I quite agree. Also “can it be hidden away”

EGHS

Is anyone using an iLevil Sport for backup attitude display?

My interest is for use in a LSA / UK Permit type aircraft.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 13 Jul 11:26
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

We bought a Dynon D2 Pocketpanel as a backup AI a few weeks ago. So far, I am satisfied with it. The indications are reasonably correct, battery life is about 5 hours.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Thanks for that.

I looked at the D2, but as we only need attitude, turn & slip, heading info, the extra cost (almost x2) wasn’t attractive….

Solar charging on the Sport plus WiFi for both iThings and Android, also meant less cable clutter.

We checked out PocketHorizon Pro as well, but they appear to have vanished.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

I have an iLevil and run it as attitude and heading source for Xavion in our Mooney. First of all, there is no real solar charging, it only extends the time the device runs on battery a tiny bit. I would consider this pure marketing. We were able to tour the US last year with our bird and there the ADS-B in feature was great for in-flight weather (we used WingX) This doesn’t work over here, of course. In the first six month the device went south twice while we were in the US. Both times Levil replaced it quickly. I can’t say if there is or was a general problem with the design, but for the last year or so it works fine. The attitude information is quite accurate. My AI quit last year on the ground. After it was changed I started comparing the AI in the panel with the display on the iPad much more regularly, for obvious reasons. I never noticed any major difference.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I don’t think the Pitot Static system is even necessary for a Life Saver App. I have a first generation "Levil AHRS g mini (actually Peter has it now :-). It provides solid attitude data, GPS altitude and groundspeed.

For a while i was trying to develop a little EFIS app for it (might continue with it soon). We installed the AHRS in the baggage compartment and it connects to your smartphone (iOS, Windows, Android) via Wifi and delivers very good attitude data, something we could never achieve with the iPhone 4/4s and 5. iPhone 6 might be better.

If you don’t permanently connect it to your aircraft’s PS or electrical system then there’s nothing to worry about.

I have just been loaned an iLevil AHRS G Mini.

Looking for SV apps for Android, there is only Naviator which may or may not have SV for Europe.

Their “support” is via – yawn, yet another “support” forum

It would also be nice to get a “virtual ILS” app which uses this AHRS gyro.

Has anyone been down this road?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MAybe it could be done with a GNS2000 external Bluetooth GPS. I use that with my iPad and it is WAAS / EGNOS compatible. I wonder if it would be possible to make such an app :-)

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message