Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Žilina LZZI

Does anybody have experience with flying to Žilina?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I'm afraid I haven't - but taking a look around, I might well have in a couple of months. Looks like a wonderful base for touring the south side of the Tatra (Tatry?) mountains.

Plus a Fokker Dr1 (replica?) based, and a very nice-looking aeroclub bar. Thanks for mentioning the place, I am sure to turn up there one day! If only they allow microlights... but likely enough mine would look innocent enough, can convince as a C150 unless looked at closely, or (worse, but less likely) weighed.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have some, landed there many times and did my night rating there.

Technically no problem. Airport is in the valley and sometimes has morning haze or fog but nothing to write home about. IFR approach in place and ILS worked last time I tried but was not yet offical and published. I can ask for the frequency if needed.

Avgas available, hangar may be a problem but I can ask. Outside parking on asphalt is no problem. Ultra Lite no problem I guess.

Not too much movements there but they used to have scheduled traffic two - three times a day and the working hours of ATC staff is synchonised with this, notamed and changing frequently.

While ATC in place you will have to pay landing fees, for my C172 it was in the region of 10 - 20 eur. Outside of notamed hours it is VFR only and no landing fees. On weekends during the season there will be a small pub staffed, but do not count on this too much. All information are about two years old, so without warranty. Trip to the city is easy by taxi (15-20 eur). There are probably scheduled bus lines but I never tried that.

Website in English:

@Jan

For a trip to Tatry mountains is better to land in Poprad LZTT, what's a full size airport with ILS and stuff. Ultra Lite should not be a problem, local aeroclub has those. There is a grass airfield nearby, LZSV (Spisska Nova Ves) with lot of UL and glider activity but you will probably run into problems with English. Similar is Ruzomberok LZRU, grass and a bit to the west. Another one is LZJS (Jasna), asphalt but shorter, about 500m -ish. All airports in Slovakia should be open for ULs, at least I did not hear about problems yet.

From LZTT you can be in the mountains in 20 min by taxi or a bit longer by public transport.

You can reach me here, will be more than glad to help you both: [email protected]

LZTR, Slovakia

I plan to be there on September 10 for football match :) between Slovakia and Bosnia. No hangar needed. Regarding fuel, web site notes only Jet A1 available and only for scheduled flights. However, having mind the distance from Zagreb, I won't need refueling. Taxi is ok and I need boarder police because Croatia is still not in Schengen while customs is not needed any more.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I checked EAD - there's published ILS approach for RW06.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just called the airport. Border police is available on 24 hour notice and it is free of charge. Just drop me a line if you need something. Miroc

LZTR, Slovakia

Miroc, many thanks for the information and helpfulness that you have shown. I intend to fly east-south-east in the beginning of September, for a week or so, and may well enter upon your offer of help. As I might with another valued contributor, who is near Praha.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

OK Jan, just drop a line on my e-mail.

LZTR, Slovakia

Just called the airport. Border police is available on 24 hour notice and it is free of charge. Just drop me a line if you need something. Miroc

Thanks!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message