Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I'm a Canadian and would like to fly next summer by GreenLand, IceLand....

I have a few question…

1. To fly in Europa… is there any Guide with all airport with information like we have the Caribbean or Central America etc…

2. What best website for the information… could be English or french?

3. Anything special that I have to know?

4. If at the end of my trip I want to leave my plane for a year in Europa… is there a problem? My plane is Canadian register?

5. Do I have to do a temporary importation on the plane?

6. I hear could be really pricey in some airport?

7. Is this an issue to have AvGas all around Europa?

Any other information could be really valuable?

Canada

Hi Bob, welcome to EuroGA!
1,2. Obviously, there are AIPs, and the collection of all European AIPs is freely accessible at http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int. Note: Germany does not publish VFR-only airfield informaiton in the freely accessible AIP. The rest of EU countries do.
Alternatively, you can use Jeppesen Flitestar/Jeppview.
3. Well, there are many things, feel free to ask questions.
4,5. You may have problems with customs if you just leave it. You will probably have to apply for temporary import, otherwise you may get liable for VAT. In fact, your best bet may be not to bring your own plane but rather make a deal with someone from Europe who wants to buy an aircraft in Canada or the U.S. so that you would help him bring it over to Europe in exchange for the right to use it for a given period of time.
6. Yes, more in some countries, less in some others. My country, Czech Republic, is among the least expensive, and I pay an equivalent of $260 Canadian per month to keep my SEP in a hangar.
7. Again, varies from country to country. For example, Germany and France are quite good whereas Greece may be outright bad. Keep in mind that avgas prices in most countries are upward of $3 Canadian per litre.
Ask whatever else you want to know. Feel free to write a private message if necessary (tu peux m’écrire en français également).
Anton

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks for your fast answer…. I will keep talking in English… so could be a reference for all the planet… :)

To bring my plane… I love my plane… it’s a Piper Navajo PA31-310 with glass cockpit… so hard to do it without it…but
When you said… could make a deal and bring a plane from Canada or USA for someone that want to buy it… any website for that kind of service?

I’m actualy in Costa Rica with my plane and they are more insane in kind of price per month… 1500 $ usd… they believe a plane is a plane so price is the same for a jet than a small plane. Pura Vida a bit crazy… but I did spoke with someone that told me the law should change. Also in some country a crazy expansive to land and to park. I did most of the Caribbean island. If any body need info.. I’m open and I try to comment on ForeFlight airport info.

So there is no book, guide for Europe flying… ? I did try to look around on Amazon.. did not find much.. They should be a guide somewhere.. ?

Is there a Facebook group like the one in Québec… ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ailesquebecoises/
There is over 2800 aviation lover, pilot etc… it’s a good help for anything…

Any person that could advise me on more detail… or someone that did the trip?

Thanks

Rob

Canada

I’ve done that trip both ways in an RV. Having a standard CofA is simpler (unless you use a ferry tank).
Unless you have HF radio you will be restricted to routing North of the OCAs. That can be done in steps of 300-500NM between Avgas locations, but alternates may add a similar distance.
Insurance may be your first hurdle. You will need minimum EU coverage. Probably best arranged through an EU based underwriter who will be covering your local insurance after the ferry flight.
If you fly IFR, you will be billed for en-route charges according to MTOW and distance flown.
Canadian CARs and Greenland, Iceland etc specify pilot requirements, fuel planning, survival equipment etc. Register with EAD Eurocontrol as mentioned and read the requirements for entry in GEN1.3 etc (navigate to applications and PAMS light)
You shouldn’t be charged import taxes for a genuine temporary import. Make sure you have convincing evidence that you will be returning (visa limits, work contract etc).
Generally, the trip can be made safely and with not too much delay April to September, outside of that requires more serious planning.
Avgas is available in 200L drums at Iqaluit and from a bowser in Greenland and Iceland main airports, but you should check availability in advance. Availability in Northern Europe is generally good, but more variable as you head South.

My one recommendation would be to take your time and explore a part of the world that most tourists never get to see.

Some photos from my last trip here

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Welcome Bob !!

I don’t know much about crossing the Atlantic, apart that I dream of doing it someday :)

The EU alone would need about 28 pilot guides
So we use both official data (AIPs gathered in the EAD database) and unofficial like this forum, and pireps like www.eddh.de (kindly provided by the german pilot community).

About the price of airports, it really depends. As you know, Europe is much more diverse than the US and Canada combined in terms of culture, behaviour, languages that translates in every aspect of living and flying.
What kind of trip do you want to do in Europe ? Which areas would you like to see ?

LFOU, France

Welcome to EuroGA, Bob

1. To fly in Europa… is there any Guide with all airport with information like we have the Caribbean or Central America etc…

There is no single guide for airports. The recommended procedure for current airport info is to look in the AIP of each country.

2. What best website for the information… could be English or french?

I can’t claim this is the best website but this is mine and if you read the trip writeups you will see the detail of preflight planning etc.

3. Anything special that I have to know?

The basic principles are the same everywhere. ATC terminology varies, as does ATC ELP (english language proficiency). IFR especially is similar to everywhere else, except that Europe has the flight plan validation system implemented by Eurocontrol – a summary here.

4. If at the end of my trip I want to leave my plane for a year in Europa… is there a problem? My plane is Canadian register?

The countries which are known to impose long term parking limits on non European reg aircraft are Norway and Denmark.

5. Do I have to do a temporary importation on the plane?

That is complicated. I suggest you search here for terms like
import vat

I believe much depends on whether you hold a European passport. If not, you get extra time before you hae to pay the import VAT.

6. I hear could be really pricey in some airport?

Sure; there are quite a few $1000 airports. But most aren’t. Typical figures are in the region of $30-$100.

7. Is this an issue to have AvGas all around Europa?

It is generally available but is scarce in some countries e.g. Greece.

I suggest posting on EuroGA with any questions. There is a huge number of experienced pilots here from all over Europe. The more specific you make it the better a response you will get.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flew a number of trips around Scandinavia and Europe in a Canadian registered C182. It was based in Norway, and now is Norwegian registered. The Norwegians did limit how long it could remain in Norway as a Canadian registered aircraft, though were reasonable when the owner requested an extension. Generally we had no problems flying VFR in Norway, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Sweden, and Finland. We were asked for a noise certificate in Germany, which I had arranged, and was able to provide. Without it, I think that the landing fees would have been greater. Yes, by Canadian standards, Avgas was very expensive, and in Scandinavia, we had to plan to arrive where it was available. With that planning, the only problem was that in a few places, it was cash only payment. Make sure that your data bases are right up to date! And, beware, that the magenta line may try to lead you across windmill areas with no obstacle warning. Several time, I disregarded the magenta line, flew old style nav and ILS, and was later very happy I had! Careful review of less than ideal factory default settings may reduce this problem.

The Canadian arctic, Greenland and Iceland are spectacular, plan time to stay and enjoy. If fuel availability, and 2000 foot long runways are okay for you, consider visiting Aasiaat and Ililissat Greenland. Great Iceland stops are Vestmannaeyjar and Akureyri. In Norway, Bergen will be very welcoming, and Floro and Bodo are worth the stop. Honnoigsvag is spectacular, and as far north as you can land in Europe, but has very tricky approaches, understand it well before you go. Vardo airport is very nice, and a taxi ride through a tunnel will take you to Vardo island, which is well worth a day’s stop over. In the Baltic Sea, Bornholm Island is a very nice stop. You will find a number of very nice stops in the islands of Croatia, including Brac, which Peter has documented well here.

I found the Norwegian VFR guide very useful: here local copy

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message