Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Import VAT for upgraded Avionics

What about BIRKEGNS (Isle of Man) for a fuel stop and then → ELLX. That way I will stay outside of the EU. Does landing in EGNS have other implications?

EDXQ

If you buy it second hand for not much money, you pay not much tax…………………….

Forever learning
EGTB

Stick you need to understand that. It is a German thing. You have to haggle with taxman a lot and greed is good there.

United Kingdom

In that case I would suggest taking a leaf out of this guy’s book, having a lunch with somebody at the airport and ever so casually mentioning that you went to the USA, bought a pile of old stuff which was gathering dust on some avionics shop shelf (“which everybody in the USA is chucking out because they are putting in G500s”) and in the time it will take you to walk from the restaurant back to your hangar all interested parties will know how much you paid for it ($2000).

At my local airport, gossip does indeed travel at exactly that speed, as I found out quite early

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EGNS (Isle of Man) is part of the European customs union. In some other areas they are separate but not for customs. If you want to stay outside the EU you can choose for example Norway or the Channel Islands.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Andreas,

I don’t know if you fly N-Reg or EASA, I guess N-Reg?
If EASA be sure that you get correct paperwork with your equipment, not all 8130-3 forms are acceptable to EASA. No problem off course if your N-reg.

Last Edited by Jesse at 12 Dec 20:18
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

It’s N-reg, Jesse.

Just checked the route via Bergen/Norway. Doable but approx 200 NM longer than via EGNS.

EDXQ

Muelli,
Do NOT fly via EGNS, the Isle of Man is NOT pert of Europe but it IS part of the UK for VAT purposes. You would have to pat 20% VAT here.
Anyway, who’s going to know what you’ve fitted?

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

not all 8130-3 forms are acceptable to EASA

Do you have any details?

Here in the UK, the interpretation of the EASA Part M position is that the 8130-3 is fully acceptable on items which are NEW.

This is sometimes gold plated into a version which is that the 8130-3 also had to be issued by the original manufacturer. I have not seen a reference for this – maybe it’s in there somewhere…

However many of the big US makers are EASA approved so their 8130-3 is “dual release” and should be exactly equivalent to an EASA-1.

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Dec 22:27
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just a thought: does it make any difference if the avionics fit is billed as a repair ?

Sign in to add your message