Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Important action required regarding emails

There have been recent moves in the European Union to tighten up the use of unsolicited emails. In the UK this takes the form of the GDPR.

Despite being a noncommercial community site, we now require your consent to send you emails. We do mailings only several times a year and they are always about relevant topics like meet-ups and website improvements. Other useful website functionality may also be affected in the future.

Your email address is never passed on to anyone.

If you would like these features to continue to work for you, please log in and go to your profile

https://www.euroga.org/user/profile/edit

scroll to the bottom, check the checkbox entitled Receive Occasional Emails

and click on the Update button at the very bottom.

There is also a Country field which is worth selecting (if you haven’t selected an aiport code) because it puts your posts and questions into a useful context.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just an observation – the GDPR specify that consent must be freely given, granular, and that data processors should avoid making consent a condition of the contract. So your statement

Other useful website functionality may also be affected in the future.

may invalidate any consent you receive. It might be worth removing that statement.

I’ve signed up, btw, as I don’t find the emails intrusive and they often contain useful information.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

What we’re asking for is consent, for something quite granular and specific: the ability to send you periodic emails with information about the goings-on of EuroGA. It’s certainly not a condition of contract, i.e. you can choose to decline and you can still use the site under the rest of the T&Cs, it just means we can’t then send you emails.

That other useful website functionality may also be affected doesn’t contradict that either in my view. The point is, without the ability for Peter to choose to to send you emails, some functionality of the site is limited – for example, it would mean we can’t email you to let you know a particular piece of content has been added which might be of interest to you. Again, you can still use the site, but if we can’t email you, you may be limiting yourself. Not that we’ve any plans at present to email you to let you know about content, automated or otherwise. But that’s all it meant. I hope that clarifies.

Glad to hear you’ve signed up. As you’ve noted, the emails are generally pretty infrequent, hopefully useful and certainly now (and forever, as per current intentions) are completely non-commercial in nature.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

The emails are currently used almost wholly for meet-ups (several a year, only) and those people who have not chosen to receive them will have to keep watching the Trips & Airports section.

The vast majority – around 98% – of regulars on EuroGA have chosen to receive the emails.

Administrator

Since EuroGA started in 2012, there have been quite a few requests to do something about posts which contained some embarrassing (to the poster) or potentially illegal issue (e.g. a pic showing the aircraft reg on an instrument panel, of a VFR-only aircraft type clearly flying in IMC). In most cases I sorted it with a small edit, sometimes on the image, and we are always happy to do this. In a few cases I suggested the edit myself!

As regards personal data, the data held is only what you entered in your profile profile. If you log in, you can view and edit this. There is nothing else since we never got anything else that’s personal. The vast majority of profiles are completely empty and the vast majority of the remaining ones do not identify the person. It would be different for an online shopping site, for example.

This GDPR thing is a hassle for a community site like EuroGA because those who don’t indicate their agreement will miss out on fly-ins and then they email me saying “nobody told me about it”

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This GDPR thing is a hassle for a community site like EuroGA because those who don’t indicate their agreement will miss out on fly-ins and then they email me saying “nobody told me about it”

The reply to that is easy, Peter. “At your request” or “You specifically indicated that you didn’t want to hear about it”

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 Mar 22:22
LSZK, Switzerland

I wonder how G-INFO and other national aircraft registration sites will change – they are clearly showing personal information in a publically accessible manner (e.g. names and addresses of aircraft owners) and I do occasionally get 3rd party physical mail from insurers looking for my business who’ve obviously looked up the information on G-INFO.

Andreas IOM

Personally I don’t think it will change G-INFO much if at all. They have a suitable legal basis under GDPR in the form of “Public Task”.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

This has come up before countless times – the CAA has since for ever been accused of breaching the Data Protection Act. Not just a theory but anyone who can track your plane can find out that your house may be unoccupied. The traditional workaround has been to use your accountant’s address but then your accountant got sent all the bulk mailings (the various GA publications like GASIL or GASCO) and had to forward anything actually worth having. IIRC, the CAA always defended it by saying the ANO requires them to publish the details.

Administrator

Just bumping this thread…

Those who don’t check that option won’t be getting emails about (mainly) fly-ins. We do only several per year but you might miss out

Administrator
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message