Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-ear headsets

BOSE now offer the QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones.

Reviews are very positive and friends that bought them for $300 confirm the impression. Noise cancelling is supposed to be as good as with the larger around-ear models.

Apart from only costing $300 (compared to $1000 for the aviation headsets), they also come at a much smaller form factor and possibly higher comfort than the large around-ear models. With glasses, the noise cancelling of the around-ear models is not as good because the braces disturb the sealing.

Now if there was a good microphone that could be combined with the QuietComfort 20 and a set of adapter plugs, I might want to give it a try for cockpit use. I have tried the Phonak in-ear aviation headset but it does not have any active noise cancelling and I found it to be rather poor. The BOSE in-ear could be a real game changer.

With glasses, the noise cancelling of the around-ear models is not as good because the braces disturb the sealing.

I use these for that problem, and they seem to work quite well.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I lift my glasses and rest them on top of my headset...

actually why didn't you notice and take the piss last time we flew Achim? :)

EDHS, Germany

I too lift my glasses over the top.

Looks weird but I don't care. The oxygen cannula just improves on the overall effect

Years ago I bought the now-discontinued Lightspeed Mach 1 in-ear headset. It was not at all cheap but worked really well, and the mike was absolutely the best I have ever used. Unfortunately there was a big problem with it: if you nudged it, the gap created around the "earplug" let in a load of noise. This made it useless and I sold it on US Ebay while it was still trendy.

I think a lot of people who use these in-ear headsets for real get custom earplugs made. Headset Services at Shoreham used to do those; again not cheap at about £100-150 a set.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, the BOSE is different from the rest. It is the first time that there is an in-ear headset with active noise cancelling and it actually works. My friends and all reviews I found say that the supplied ear pieces are very good and do not hurt even after hours.

If I figure out a good way to combine it with a microphone, I will give it a try.

I often fly over the Luftwaffe airbase Manching/Ingolstadt and there is always a chance to have a Eurofighter turn up right next to your cockpit. Therefore I can't risk looking like a complete idiot with the glasses tilted. Also it distorts the image too much in my case.

there is always a chance to have a Eurofighter turn up right next to your cockpit.

Can they fly slow enough to have a good look :)

EDHS, Germany

I use these. They are the best sunglasses I have ever had. Super light and best of all the flat arms do not break the seal of ANR headsets.

EGTK Oxford

So with the QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones, how do you talk to ATC?

EDLE, Netherlands

That is what the handheld microphone in the plane is for!

EGTK Oxford

Ah yes Jason, I forgot :-)

EDLE, Netherlands
88 Posts
Sign in to add your message