Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-flight icing incident in Cirrus SR22T (FIKI)

I see, in my 22 NA it is manual !

Although i have not flown an NA at that altitude I am pretty sure that this must have felt like a complete loss of power.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Jun 14:51

@Peter the carb temperature gauge is in the venturi air stream, not the body. Or am I wrong?! there’d be no point in a carb body temperature indication.

The temperature gauge in my system is in the body, it has a yellow arc which is a temperature range in which — after the venturi, i.e. temperature drop — icing is possible. Thanks to the turbo charger, it is never in the yellow arc and I have never used the carb heat, not in clouds, not on final approach, only during runup.

I believe mine is about the only aircraft with carb and turbocharger besides the Rotax 914

Last Edited by achimha at 18 Jun 15:22

Peter wrote:

He did not say he lost all engine power, he mentioned MP 11".
That sounds like a windmilling engine sucking against a blockage. You won’t get zero MP (a vacuum).

11" is slightly less than atmospheric pressure at FL230 (about 12" in ISA). Isn’t that about the MP you would expect with fully open throttle without turbo pressure?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK, but I would have thought that Aeroplus would have noticed a duff turbo on his next flight.

It is perhaps too easy to generalise. More likely, icing affects different engine installations in subtly different ways.

The strangest thing is that it definitely does exist as an issue, yet how much does one hear about it? Zero, zilch. But then again, as with so much in GA, there are multiple reasons why something doesn’t get reported.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe mine is about the only aircraft with carb and turbocharger besides the Rotax 914

Nope. The stock Commander 112TC and TCA are turbocharged carbs.
Mine isn’t as it is injected turbo engine.

United Kingdom

Is it mandatory to report this sort of incident to the BEA/BFU?

Arrêté du 4 avril 2003 fixant la liste des incidents d’aviation civile devant être portés à la connaissance du bureau d’enquêtes et d’analyses pour la sécurité de l’aviation civile

Civil aviation incidents (…) , which must be reported to the BEA :
CIVIL AVIATION INCIDENTS ON AIRCRAFT WHICH ARE NOT OPERATED BY AN AOC HOLDER
(…)
Multiple malfunctions of one or more aircraft systems that seriously affect the operation of the aircraft.
(…)
System failures , weather phenomena , operation outside the approved flight envelope or other occurrences which could have caused difficulties controlling the aircraft. Loss of control , whatever the cause.
Failure of more than one system in a redundancy system which is mandatory for flight guidance and navigation.
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000000236331
Incidents d’aviation civile (…), qui doivent être portés à la connaissance du bureau d’enquêtes et d’analyses pour la sécurité de l’aviation civile :
INCIDENTS D’AVIATION CIVILE CONCERNANT UN AÉRONEF QUI N’EST PAS INSCRIT SUR LA LISTE DE FLOTTE D’UN EXPLOITANT TITULAIRE D’UN CERTIFICAT DE TRANSPORTEUR AÉRIEN ET QUI N’EST PAS ÉQUIPÉ D’UN TURBOMOTEUR
(…)
Des pannes multiples d’un ou de plusieurs systèmes de bord qui gênent fortement la conduite de l’aéronef.
(…)
Des pannes de systèmes, des phénomènes météorologiques, une évolution en dehors de l’enveloppe de vol approuvée ou d’autres occurrences qui pourraient avoir rendu difficile le contrôle de l’aéronef. Toute perte de contrôle, quelle qu’en soit la cause.
Une panne de plus d’un système dans un système de redondance qui est obligatoire pour le guidage des vols et la navigation.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 18 Jun 19:41

The TR182 is not fuel injected? Wow! I was always sure it is. In cars the combination of carb. and turbo was not very successful.

Aeroplus,
will you discuss this on COPA? I would be very interested if other pilots had this experience too. If so this will clearly require some action from Cirrus.

EDIT: found on COPA!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Jun 20:54

Ah! You guys are great and seem to have a lot of time. I am quite busy with business associates from SA being our guests at the moment. The first thing to do is wait for the read out of all the parameters and an initial analysis of that. On the COPA forum that is also the point where the discussion stopped. It might take some time for the SR22T to get serviced and to get the review back. But as soon as I get something I will update you all.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message