Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In praise of the center stick (and stick versus yoke)

Today I finally went flying again after an involuntary break of 8 months. When I recieved my license in 2017, all flying had been in an Aquila A210/211. This modern Rotax-powered CS23-VLA is controlled with a center stick of a rather simple and functional design.

I moved shortly after getting the license and had to move on to other aircraft as well. I flew a few hours on a TB20 only to realize that it is absolutely not my aircraft. Among many other things, I found the control via a yoke cumbersome and imprecise. Next aircraft was a C172R. It was more “my type”, but once again I did not like flying with a yoke.

Now after nearly two years I flew an A210 again and it was amazing how I felt so much more in control than with either of the other aircraft. For me a stick is so much more intuitive, more precise. I made some of my best landings ever today, despite the total lack of currency, simply because the control input felt so right.

I am aware that this is due to personal preference and don’t suggest that a stick is intrinsically better than a yoke. Maybe years of playing flight sim games with a joystick also matter. And of course the first school aircraft probably leaves a lasting impression on all pilots.

Ultimately I am relieved to be back inside a cockpit where I felt right at home. I was about to give up flying as my SEP runs out next month, but today gave me hope and I already organised a check flight with an FE to extend my SEP.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Great that you are back flying!

I will not comment on the yoke vs. stick. I’ll just add that I like airplanes.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Good on back to flying!

If I need to use the stick, I’d rather it being in the centre. If I’m going to fly on AP, I’d rather it being on the side.
I know some people love the yoke but I can’t find a situation where it’s better than the stick configurations, other than taking panel space. I guess on planes with lack of instruments it also serves a support to a couple more.

I have little time in yoke equipped aircraft and have owned only aircraft with control sticks. I like being able rest my forearm on my thigh.

Transport aircraft have always had yokes, I think primarily because they maximize lap space. With charts displayed electronically on the panel that may not be an issue. Another advantage of yokes is the ease of getting in and out but not all control stick equipped aircraft have that issue, for example the Airtourer with its (truly) center stick.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jun 23:04
Well, roughly half of modern transport aircraft have centre sticks. I believe the tray that is on the place the yoke would occupy is very appreciated, both for aviation related documents but mainly for meal trays

Large roll rates and lot of roll (especially in aeros or high G) you need a stick, if you want precision roll rates get a yoke,

The rest is mainly comfort if you have large feets get a stick, if you have large arms get a yoke, if you have deep pockets get a side stick-yoke…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

One of the reasons I prefer the stick is that generally my arm rests nearby. With a properly trimmed plane, I can give tiny finger inputs (or thigh, if centre stick) without moving the whole arm. With the yoke there’s more tendency to have Hands “resting” on the yoke só less incentive to get trim perfectly right

Now after nearly two years I flew an A210 again and it was amazing how I felt so much more in control than with either of the other aircraft. For me a stick is so much more intuitive, more precise. I made some of my best landings ever today, despite the total lack of currency, simply because the control input felt so right.

That has nothing to do with the stick vs yoke. Go fly a BE35 or Bellanca Viking and then a 7GCBC or Cub. Or an SF25.

Go fly many types to learn what matters. Control elements are a minor factor.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Maybe the A210 simply is a very good plane to fly. That’s what I have heard, have never flown one myself, but would like to.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
I moved shortly after getting the license and had to move on to other aircraft as well. I flew a few hours on a TB20 only to realize that it is absolutely not my aircraft. Among many other things, I found the control via a yoke cumbersome and imprecise.

The TB20 is basically an IFR platform and that may not be to everybody’s liking.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message