Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In what circumstances would one open up an engine purely on the basis of oil analysis data?

DHL tracking works door to door and you can watch the progress via their tracking site.

But that doesn’t mean that they can find a parcel which they lost

Based on lots of experience at work I would not use Fedex or UPS within Europe, because they contract out their local deliveries in some countries. For example in Poland UPS used local taxi drivers, etc. We use DHL exclusively now. We have one customer who wants stuff shipped to France on his UPS account # and we have endless problems with UPS on that absolutely trivial service.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I send the Blackstone containers by German Mail (and US Mail later, I guess). They call it “Brief, international” i.e. “letter, international”. It’s the mentioned 3.45€ and nothing got lost, so far.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

achimha wrote:

Peter’s container works for 3.45€ because 7+7+10.5 = 24.5 which is < 90.

Ah so. The math is very different with a + instead of a x. Would have realized it if I had actually taken a moment to think about it. Thanks for the clarification.

KHTO, LHTL

At the 40:00 point here

is some interesting stuff on this question…

Administrator

Following my post above I again see high aluminium and nothing else:

Administrator

I would not worry about it at all if there are no other connected symptoms like higher CHT etc.
It may have been one improper engine start – too high RPM before oil press was built or too fast warmup where piston skirt contacted cyl wall, or a hundred other reasons. Keep monitoring but there is a good chance that it will disappear at next oil check.

Last Edited by Raven at 10 Oct 08:41
Poland

In what circumstances would one open up an engine purely on the basis of oil analysis data?

None.
It is one of the tools used to check on your engine(s) health. It is used to show trend, and used in correlation mode. Before “opening” an engine, the causal factor will be established.

Example: I used to own what I called my little “plastic toy”, a VariEze, powered by a Continental C-90. Over the years, the aluminum contents kept creeping up. Until one day aluminum chips were found in the filter. I borescoped the engine and found 2 cylinders (outta 4) with sliding marks on their walls, at the 09:00 and 15:00 position, confirming piston pins rubbing.
I didn’t own the aircraft anymore by then, but have been informed that the engine’s oil system was flushed, 2 new cylinder kits replaced the defective ones, and the engine lived happily after that…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Peter – what kind of oil do you use? I assume you don’t use camguard since your phosphorous numbers are so low. Do you have a borescope? If so, you might get some clues there, as Dan did.

Here is my most recent report on my Lyco-clone IO-360 – I’ve got a sample in the mail now, but it has not yet arrived to Blackstone.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

W80 and Camguard.
Camguard uses calcium as a marker. I have this from its developer, Ed Kollin.
I have a borescope but I don’t know what that might show to point to the increased aluminium. I guess a rubbing piston plug may leave a mark on the cylinder wall?

Administrator

A rubbing piston pin would leave a mark on the cylinder wall but it’s interesting to ponder how it might leave elevated aluminum levels in the oil, given that both pin and cylinder wall are steel. Perhaps the pieces of the piston?

Sign in to add your message