Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Installing Intercom in Piper Cherokee Six

I am negotiating to buy a Piper Cherokee Six 260. Unfortunately it doesn’t have any intercom system! I have spoken to a avionics shop and they thought without checking it out exactly that it would cost about 4000-4500 € (with up to a week for installing it). Why is it not possible to install a simple system like this?

Casimir D
ESVE Stegeborg

Did someone say it is not possible, and if so, why? It appears to be a certified product.

BTW I am not impressed with this piece of restrictive practice on that page

On On all PS Engineering intercoms a wire harness must be done by PS Engineering or a PS Engineering dealer or warranty is void.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On On all PS Engineering intercoms a wire harness must be done by PS Engineering or a PS Engineering dealer or warranty is void.

If you are buying as a private owner in the EU, does such a disclaimer really have a legal effect? AFAIK EU regulation gives a consumer the right of refund/repair/replacement of defective goods within 6 months of purchase, unless the seller can demonstrate that the defect was not original.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I agree that such a restriction is prob99 illegal in the EU, but that doesn’t stop some avionics vendors from e.g. restricting their STCs to authorised dealers.

I guess that

• they get away with it in the USA
  • the FAA is not going to check if the installer name on the 337 is an authorised dealer for XYZ
  • they are hoping not many people in the EU will spot this practice and even fewer will take legal action over it

Also it’s strange because few “authorised dealers” will be buying their primary stuff from Spruce.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello Casimir,
nice profile picture;-)

Concerning the intercom usually the purchase price of the box is only a small part of the final price. You have to add paperwork, installation work and installation material. Wiring all six places means taking out a big part of ther interior and putting many wires.

If you do all that effort I would consider spending just a few hundred more and getting a combined intercom audiopanel device like the Garmin GMA340. We had an old six place installation based on the KMA24, PM1000 and an extension box for the rear passengers. When it broke we replaced it with a single GMA340. It is much nicer to have all things audio in one place of the panel instead of three different boxes.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 02 Dec 11:45
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I concur that the delta btw a cheaper intercom an full audio panel is negligible in proportion to the work labor (removing interior side panels etc….). Careful installation is required to avoid ground loops..

EBST

BTW I am not impressed with this piece of restrictive practice on that page

Peter, I believe that in EC electronic consumer products warranty disclaimers are full of statements like this…though maybe more indirect…

EBST

As Sebastian G said, it is the labour costs that drive the price up and this will mean stripping most of the linings to lay the cables. The GMA340 is a much nicer piece of work.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The only way to go is a fully fitted solution to the problem and the only two games in town are the Garmin GMA340 or one of the PS engineering products, I have both fitted in my aircraft, both have a 100% serviceability record and produce a good sound quality as well as reliable squelch.

The origonal PS1000 intercom is being replaced in my personal toy with a PS8000BT on the basis that the last PS product was so good.

While I am sure that Peter is quite correct about the Leagal position regarding fitting these products without support from the dealer network I have a lot of sympathy with the manufactures who want to guard against the type of idiots who take short cuts during Instalation, the result being customers who are dis-satisfied with the performance of the product who will make their veiws known on forums like this and / or units being retuned to the factory with damage caused by faulty loom Instalation.

It’s the old story…………. Buy cheap………….. Buy twice !!

I would suggest not to install a simple intercom only, instead upgrade the complete audio system. What do they use now as audio panel? Does it only a two place intercom, not intercom at all? If it is an old audio panel you might want to upgrade that as well. Modern audio panels have many improvements of audio design / quality compared to older systems. Such as diffential inputs instead of common inputs which are far more likely to pick up noise and demodulation. See also the other thread.

The Cherokee Six is very easy to install the wiring. The GMA-340 list for 1495 USD. Even including TAX, EASA approval if applicable and labour it seems you have been quoted a large number. I would recommend you to ask more quotes, and ask how they would do the installation. Shielded wiring, isolate microphone, what would they do to prevent ground loops etc.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message